São Filipe, Cape Verde (municipality)
São Filipe is a concelho (municipality) of Cape Verde. Situated in the western part of the island of Fogo, it covers 49% of the island area (228.84 km2), and is home to 60% of its population (22,248 at the 2010 census). Its seat is the city São Filipe. Agriculture is the main employment of the municipality, followed by tourism.
City hall of São Filipe
|• Total||228.84 km2 (88.36 sq mi)|
|• Density||97/km2 (250/sq mi)|
The municipality consists of two freguesias (civil parishes):
It was created in 1991, when the older Municipality of Fogo was split in two, the southwestern part becoming the Municipality of São Filipe and the northeastern part becoming the Municipality of Mosteiros. In 2005, an eastern parish of the municipality was split off to become the Municipality of Santa Catarina do Fogo.
- Eugênio Miranda da Veiga - MpD (until 2008)
- Luís Pires - PAICV (as of early 2016)
|Party||Municipal Council||Municipal Assembly|
The city has the stadium, it has the Estadio 5 de Julho which is used for football (soccer), a multisport complex named Simão Mendes and a pavilion named Luzia Nunes located in another settlement close to Patim. Sports clubs in the municipality include Académica do Fogo, Botafogo, Spartak d'Aguadinha, União, Valência and Vulcânicos.
Each year, the São Filipe Municipal Cup, a football (soccer) competition takes place each year in the months of September or October. It features clubs from the municipality. The 2016 edition featured two clubs from outside the municipality.
São Filipe is twinned with 10 Portuguese towns:
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 24 November 2016.
- 2010 Census Summary
- Lei nº 66/VI/2005, p. 52
- São Filipe, opendataforafrica.org
- Includes the population of the present-day Santa Catarina do Fogo municipality.
- Official results local elections 2016, Boletim Oficial I Série, Número 53, 23 September 2016
- "São Filipe: Reabilitação do estádio 5 de Julho e polidesportivo "Simão Mendes" prevista para Dezembro". Inforpress CV (in Portuguese). 20 November 2014. Archived from the original on 2 December 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Geminações de Cidades e Vilas