This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ryszard Engelking (born 1935 in Sosnowiec) is a Polish mathematician. He was working mainly on general topology and dimension theory. He is author of several influential monographs in this field. The 1989 edition of his General Topology is nowadays a standard reference for Topology.
Apart from his books, Ryszard Engelking is known, among other things, for a generalization to an arbitrary topological space of the "Alexandroff double circle", for works on completely metrizable spaces, suborderable spaces and generalized ordered spaces. The Engelking-Karlowicz theorem, proved together with Monica Karlowicz, is a statement about the existence of a family of functions from to with topological and set-theoretical applications.
In addition to research papers authored just by himself, he also published jointly with Kazimierz Kuratowski, Roman Sikorski, Aleksander Pełczyński and others. He has published about 60 scientific works reviewed by MathSciNet and Zentralblatt.
Apart from mathematics he is also interested in literature. He translated into Polish French authors: Flaubert's Madame Bovary , and works of Baudelaire, Gérard de Nerval, Auguste de Villiers de L'Isle-Adam, Nicolas Restif de la Bretonne. For these activities he was awarded by Literatura na Świecie (World Literature).
- R. Engelking (1968). Outline of General Topology. translated from Polish. North-Holland, Amsterdam.
- R. Engelking (1977). General Topology. PWN, Warsaw.
- R. Engelking (1978). Dimension Theory. North-Holland, Amsterdam.
- R. Engelking (1989). General Topology. Revised and completed edition. Heldermann Verlag, Berlin. ISBN 3-88538-006-4.
- R. Engelking (1995). Theory of Dimensions: Finite and Infinite. Heldermann Verlag, Berlin. ISBN 3-88538-010-2.
- Instytut Historii Nauki, Oświaty i Techniki (Polska Akademia Nauki (1980). Kwartalnik historii nauki i techniki (in Polish). Panstwowe Wydawnictwo Naukowe. p. 704. Retrieved 12 June 2011.
- K.P. Hart, J.-I. Nagata and J.E. Vaughan Editors, Encyclopedia of general Topology, Elsevier 2003, p. vii
- Haruto Ohta, Special Spaces, Chapter b-13 in Encyclopedia of general Topology.
- R. Engelking, On the double circumference of Alexandroff, Bull. Acad. Polon. Sci. 16 (1968), 629–634.
- Encyclopedia of general Topology, pp. 204, 206, 252 and 328
- Ryszard Engelking and Monica Karlowicz, Some theorems of set theory and their topological consequences, Fundamenta Mathematicae, 57, 275–285, 1965.
- Uri Abraham and Menachem Magidor, Cardinal Arithmetic, Ch. 14 in Handbook of Set Theory (Matthew Foreman, Akihiro Kanamori, Editors) pp. 1223, 1226.