Ryan Jamari Spann (born August 24, 1991) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the Light Heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional since 2013, he has also fought for the Legacy Fighting Alliance, where he was the Light Heavyweight Champion. As of March 15, 2021, he is #11 in the UFC light heavyweight rankings.
|Born||Ryan Jamari Spann|
August 24, 1991
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|Reach||81+1⁄2 in (207 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Beaumont, Texas, United States|
|Rank||Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Brian "The Law" Hall|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
After compiling a 3–1 amateur record as a Middleweight and Welterweight, Spann started his professional career in 2013. He fought under various promotions, notably the regional Legacy Fighting Championship and Legacy Fighting Alliance where he was the Light Heavyweight Champion. He amassed a record of 13-5 prior participated in Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series.
Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender SeriesEdit
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Spann was briefly linked to face Ovince Saint Preux on February 8, 2020 at UFC 247. However, promotion matchmakers elected to go in another direction and the pairing was scrapped from the event. Instead, Spann was booked against Paul Craig on March 21, 2020 at UFC Fight Night: Woodley vs. Edwards. However, the event was cancelled.
Spann was initially scheduled to face Johnny Walker at UFC Fight Night 176 on September 5, 2020. However, Walker tested positive for COVID-19 and the bout was postponed to September 19, 2020 at UFC Fight Night 178. Despite dropping Walker twice in the first round, Spann would go onto lose the fight via knockout.
Spann was expected to face Misha Cirkunov on December 19, 2020 at UFC Fight Night 183. However, Cirkunov pulled out in early December due to an injury. The fight was rescheduled to March 13, 2021 at UFC Fight Night 187. After initially knocking Cirkunov down during the first minute, Spann won the fight via technical knockout in round one. This win earned him the Performance of the Night award.
Championships and accomplishmentsEdit
Mixed martial artsEdit
- Hero FC
- Hero FC Middleweight Championship (one time; former)
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|26 matches||19 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||19–7||Anthony Smith||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Smith vs. Spann||September 18, 2021||1||3:47||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||19–6||Misha Cirkunov||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Edwards vs. Muhammad||March 13, 2021||1||1:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||18–6||Johnny Walker||KO (elbows and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Covington vs. Woodley||September 19, 2020||1||2:43||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||18–5||Sam Alvey||Decision (split)||UFC 249||May 9, 2020||3||5:00||Jacksonville, Florida, United States|
|Win||17–5||Devin Clark||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Joanna vs. Waterson||October 12, 2019||2||2:01||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Win||16–5||Antônio Rogério Nogueira||KO (punches)||UFC 237||May 11, 2019||1||2:07||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||15–5||Luis Henrique||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Santos vs. Anders||September 22, 2018||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||14–5||Emiliano Sordi||Submission (guillotine choke)||Dana White's Contender Series 10||June 19, 2018||1||0:26||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–5||Alex Nicholson||KO (punches)||LFA 32||January 26, 2018||1||4:24||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States||Won the vacant LFA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||12–5||Myron Dennis||KO (punches)||LFA 27||November 10, 2017||1||3:08||Shawnee, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||11–5||LeMarcus Tucker||Submission (rear-naked choke)||LFA 23||September 22, 2017||1||2:55||Bossier City, Louisiana, United States||Return to Light Heavyweight.|
|Loss||10–5||Karl Roberson||KO (elbows)||Dana White's Contender Series 3||July 25, 2017||1||0:15||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–4||Roman Pizzolato||Submission (guillotine choke)||World Fighting Championships 72||May 13, 2017||1||0:20||Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States|
|Loss||9–4||Trevin Giles||Decision (split)||LFA 3||February 10, 2017||3||5:00||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States||Return to Middleweight.|
|Loss||9–3||Robert Drysdale||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Legacy FC 58||July 22, 2016||2||2:58||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States||For the vacant Legacy FC Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||9–2||Aaron Davis||Submission (guillotine choke)||Legacy FC 52||Mar 25, 2016||1||2:53||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States||Return to Light Heavyweight.|
|Loss||8–2||Leo Leite||Decision (unanimous)||Legacy FC 48||Nov 13, 2015||5||5:00||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States||For the Legacy FC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||8–1||Larry Crowe||KO (punches)||Legacy FC 42||June 26, 2015||1||0:08||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||7–1||Dwight Gipson||Submission (guillotine choke)||Vengeance Fighting Alliance: Round 5||May 9, 2015||1||4:39||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||6–1||Artenas Young||Submission (guillotine choke)||Fury Fighting 4||February 13, 2015||3||2:32||Humble, Texas, United States|
|Loss||5–1||Brandon Farran||TKO (punches)||Hero FC: Best of the Best 3||September 12, 2014||1||0:21||Brownsville, Texas, United States||Lost the Hero FC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Randy McCarty||Decision (unanimous)||Hero FC 1: Best of the Best||February 1, 2014||3||5:00||Harlingen, Texas, United States||Won the Hero FC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Jhonoven Pati||Submission (guillotine choke)||Hero FC: Texas Pride||September 28, 2013||1||2:32||Beaumont, Texas, United States|
|Win||3–0||Brandon Atkins||Submission (guillotine choke)||Hero FC: Pride of the Valley 2||June 21, 2013||1||0:44||Pharr, Texas, United States||Return to Middleweight.|
|Win||2–0||Steven Zamora||Submission (rear-naked choke)||El Orgullo del Valle||March 16, 2013||1||2:25||Pharr, Texas, United States||Light Heavyweight debut.|
|Win||1–0||Aaron Lebrun||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Vengeance Fighting Alliance: Round 1||February 16, 2013||1||N/A||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States||Middleweight debut.|
- Mixed martial arts show results Date: July 25, 2017
- "Ryan Spann | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- @lawschoolmma (March 15, 2021). "lawschoolmma Congratulations to @superman_spann on receiving his blue belt in BJJ". Retrieved September 18, 2021 – via Instagram.
- "Rankings | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2021-03-16.
- Gavin Porter (May 9, 2019). "Ryan Spann: From 'Superkid' to 'Superman'". Ultimate Fighting Championship.
- "LFA 32 results and highlights: Ryan Spann drops Alex Nicholson for comeback title win". MMA Junkie. 2018-01-27. Retrieved 2019-10-15.
- Sherdog.com. "Ryan". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- Segura, Danny (2017-07-25). "DWTNCS 3 results: Karl Roberson, Geoffrey Neal earn UFC contracts after quick finishes". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-10-14.
- Lee, Alexander K. (2018-06-19). "DWTNCS results: Four fighters earn UFC contracts". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- Camilo Pinheiro Machado, Evelyn Rodrigues and Marcelo Barone (2018-08-03). "Mark Godbeer suffers injury, and KLB faces Ryan Spann at UFC Sao Paulo" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- "UFC Sao Paulo results: Ryan Spann grinds way past Luis Henrique for UFC debut victory". MMAjunkie. 2018-09-23. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- "Ultimate encaminha Rogério Minotouro x Ryan Spann para o UFC 237, 11 de maio, no Brasil". Sportv (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- "UFC 227 results: Ryan Spann silences crowd with devastating KO of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira". MMA Junkie. 2019-05-12. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- "Light heavyweights Ryan Spann, Devin Clark meet at UFC on ESPN+ 19". MMA Junkie. 2019-08-06. Retrieved 2019-10-12.
- Evanoff, Josh (2019-10-12). "UFC Tampa Results: Ryan Spann Chokes Out Devin Clark". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- Sherdog.com. "Ovince St. Preux to Lock Horns with Ryan Spann at UFC Event on Feb. 8". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- Nolan King (2019-12-10). "Ovince Saint Preux vs. Ryan Spann canceled from UFC 247 in Houston". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-12-10.
- Jay Anderson (December 19, 2019). "UFC London Adds Paul Craig vs. Ryan Spann". cagesidepress.com.
- O2, The. "Cancelled | UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs. Edwards | The O2". www.theo2.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-04-10.
- "REVISED – UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com". 2020-04-27. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
- Doherty, Dan (2020-05-09). "UFC 249 Results: Ryan Spann Survives Late Push from Sam Alvey". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-05-10.
- Mike Bohn (May 9, 2020). "UFC 249 results: Ryan Spann survives late scare, edges Sam Alvey". mmajunkie.com.
- Guilherme Cruz (September 16, 2020). "Johnny Walker had to postpone return to UFC Vegas 11 after COVID-19 positive test". mmafighting.com.
- Guilherme Cruz, Damon Martin and Mike Heck (2020-08-18). "Johnny Walker vs. Ryan Spann remains on Sept. 19 event despite UFC 253 moving one week later". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- McClory, Mike (2020-09-19). "UFC Vegas 11 Results: Johnny Walker Stops Ryan Spann in Wild Brawl". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- Adam Guillen Jr. (2020-11-17). "Cirkunov vs Spann, Eubanks vs Kianzad added to UFC Vegas 17 on Dec. 19". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
- Staff (2020-12-05). "Updates to December 19 UFC Fight Night". ufc.com. Retrieved 2020-12-05.
- Alexander K. Lee (2021-02-18). "Misha Cirkunov vs. Ryan Spann re-booked for March 13 UFC card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-02-18.
- Doherty, Dan (2021-03-13). "UFC Vegas 21 Results: Ryan Spann Finishes Misha Cirkunov Quickly". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-03-14.
- Stephie Haynes (2021-03-13). "UFC Vegas 21 post-fight bonuses: Dan Ige quickly starches Gavin Tucker". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2021-03-14.
- Martin, Damon (2021-06-05). "Anthony Smith vs. Ryan Spann booked for UFC event on Sept. 18". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2021-06-06.
- Evanoff, Josh (2021-09-18). "UFC Vegas 37 Results: Anthony Smith Submits Ryan Spann". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-09-19.
- Sherdog.com. "Ryan". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-11-22.