Ryan Ramczyk (// RAM-chek; born April 22, 1994) is an American football offensive tackle for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Wisconsin, and was drafted by the Saints in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft. A native of Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Ramczyk attended four different schools before transferring to Wisconsin–Madison in 2014, where he became an All-American lineman for the Badgers in the 2016 season.
|No. 71 – New Orleans Saints|
|Born:||April 22, 1994|
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||314 lb (142 kg)|
|High school:||Stevens Point Area|
(Stevens Point, Wisconsin)
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 1 / Pick: 32|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Player stats at PFR|
High school careerEdit
Ramczyk attended Stevens Point Area Senior High School in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, where he played high school football. He was a First Team All-State selections by the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association in 2011, and was invited to play in the 2012 WFCA All-Star Game in Oshkosh. He turned down a scholarship offer from Pittsburgh's first-year head coach Paul Chryst to attend Division-II school Winona State.
Leaving Winona State before the football season began, Ramczyk enrolled first at Madison Area Technical College, then Mid-State Technical College in Stevens Point, for one semester each. In 2013, he transferred to the University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point, where his former high school coach had taken a job on the football staff. In what was technically his freshman season, Ramczyk played in all 10 games and was named Second Team All-Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. The following season, he earned First Team All-WIAC honors.
When Paul Chryst became head coach at Wisconsin–Madison, Ramczyk reached out and decided to transfer. After sitting out the 2015 season due to NCAA transfer rules, he was named the starter at the left tackle position for 2016, succeeding Tyler Marz. Ramczyk was named First Team All-Big Ten on November 30, 2016.
Ramczyk received an invitation to the NFL Combine, but was only able to perform the bench press due to a hip injury. He also was unable to participate at Wisconsin's Pro Day. NFL draft experts and analysts projected Ramczyk to be a first round pick. He had pre-draft visits with multiple teams, that included the New York Giants, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans, and New England Patriots. He was ranked the top offensive tackle available in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com, ESPN, Pro Football Focus, and NFL media analyst Bucky Brooks. Ramczyk was ranked the second best offensive tackle in the draft by Sports Illustrated and NFL media analyst Mike Mayock.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 6 in
|33 3⁄4 in
|10 7⁄8 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
The New Orleans Saints selected Ramczyk in the first round (32nd overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft. The pick used to draft Ramczyk was acquired from the New England Patriots in exchange for Brandin Cooks. Ramczyk made his NFL debut on September 11, 2017, in the season opener against the Minnesota Vikings. Starting at left tackle made him the first Saints' rookie to start at left tackle in a season opener since Jim Dombrowski in 1986. He started the first four games at left tackle in place of the injured Terron Armstead. He moved over to right tackle after Zach Strief was lost for the season with a knee injury. He then started 12 games at right tackle, and was named to the PFWA All-Rookie Team.
- "New Orleans Saints: Ryan Ramczyk". www.neworleanssaints.com. Retrieved August 24, 2017.
- "2011 All-State Team" (PDF).
- Jeff Potrykus (April 9, 2016). "Ryan Ramczyk traveled a circuitous path from Stevens Point to UW". www.jsonline.com. Journal Sentinel. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- "Warriors Add Impact Players In 2012 Recruiting Class". Winona State Warriors football. February 2, 2012.
- Temple, Jesse (November 10, 2016). "Wisconsin OL Ryan Ramczyk made right choice for football over welding". ESPN.
- Scott A. Williams (August 15, 2015). "UWSP star follows heart, joins Badgers". www.stevenspointjournal.com. Stevens Point Journal. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Jason Galloway (April 12, 2016). "Ramczyk takes winding path to Badgers". www.lacrossetribune.com. La Crosse Tribune. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Jeff Potrykus (August 27, 2016). "Season preview: Ramczyk dazzled during redshirt year". www.jsonline.com. Journal Sentinel. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Jesse Temple (April 11, 2016). "Wisconsin tackle Ryan Ramczyk travels unusual road to the spotlight". www.espn.com. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- "2016 Big Ten Individual Award Winners" (PDF). www.grfx.cstv.com. Big Ten Conference. November 30, 2016. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Ryan Ramczyk". NFL.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Chris Pflum (April 11, 2017). "NFL Draft Rumors: Wisconsin OT Ryan Ramczyk to visit the Giants". bigblueview.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Nicki Jhabvala (April 17, 2017). "Broncos hosted OT Ryan Ramczyk on pre-draft visit". denverpost.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- "Rotoworld.com: Ryan Ramczyk". Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Chris Burke (April 24, 2017). "2017 NFL Draft Rankings: Top Prospects by Position". Si.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Jeff Legwold (April 22, 2017). "Ranking the 2017 Draft's Top 100 Prospects". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- "Top 32 Prospects for the 2017 NFL Draft". profootballfocus.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Mike Mayock (April 12, 2017). "Mike Mayock's 2017 NFL Draft position rankings 3.0". NFL.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Bucky Brooks (April 25, 2017). "Bucky Brooks' 2017 NFL Draft prospects by position 3.0". NFL.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- "New Orleans Saints select OT Ryan Ramczyk in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft". NewOrleansSaints.com. April 27, 2017.
- "Saints vs. Vikings: Postgame notes". New Orleans Saints. September 11, 2017. Retrieved September 14, 2017.