Ryan Davis (defensive end)
Ryan Davis Sr. (born February 24, 1989) is an American football defensive end who is a free agent. He was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars as an undrafted free agent in 2012. He played college football at Bethune-Cookman.
|Born:||February 24, 1989|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||275 lb (125 kg)|
|High school:||Howard W. Blake|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Player stats at NFL.com · PFR|
Davis accepted a football scholarship from Bethune–Cookman University. As a freshman, he appeared in 7 games as a backup, tallying 9 tackles (one for loss) and one fumble recovery for a touchdown.
As a sophomore, he started at defensive end, posting 55 tackles (fourth on the team) 3.5 sacks (led the team), 9 tackles for loss (third on the team) and 2 forced fumbles (led the team). He had game-saving tackle at the goal line on fourth down, that helped preserve a win against Savannah State University. He made 9 tackles (7 solo) in a 9–7 win against Delaware State University. He had 7 tackles against Winston-Salem State University.
As a junior, he started in 10 out of 12 games, totaling 57 tackles (third on the team), 6.5 sacks (led the team), 8 quarterback pressures, 18 tackles for loss (led the team), one interception and 2 forced fumbles.
As a senior, he posted 65 tackles (40 solo), 12 sacks (led conference), 17 quarterback hurries, 21.5 tackles for loss (second in the conference), 8 forced fumbles (led the team), 2 fumble recoveries and one safety. He finished his college career with 190 tackles, 22 sacks, 49.5 tackles for loss and 12 forced fumbles.
Davis was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars after the 2012 NFL Draft on April 29. On August 31, he was waived and later signed to the team's practice squad one day later on September 1.
On October 5, he was promoted to the active roster. He was released on October 23 and re-signed to the practice squad the next day. He was again released from the practice squad on November 21 and re-signed to the practice squad five days later on November 26. He was promoted to the active roster on December 31.
On August 30, 2013, he was released and signed to the team's practice squad on September 1. He was promoted to the active roster on November 15.
During the season, Davis had two game ending plays against the Houston Texans. When the Jaguars played the Texans in Houston in November, Davis made a game ending interception. In a December victory in Jacksonville, Davis sacked Houston quarterback Matt Schaub while the Texans did not have any timeouts remaining and the clock ran out. He totaled 7 tackles (2 for loss), one sack, one interception and one pass defensed.
Davis was active for all 16 games as part of the defensive line rotation. He posted 17 tackles (7 for loss), 6.5 sacks, 2 passes defensed, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries and 3 special teams tackles.
He appeared in 14 games as a backup at defensive end, making 7 tackles (5 for loss), 3.5 sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery
In training camp, he was moved to the strongside linebacker behind Dan Skuta. On September 3, 2016, he was released by the Jaguars, who were going younger at the defensive end position with the additions of Dante Fowler and Yannick Ngakoue.
On September 13, 2016, Davis was signed as a free agent by the Dallas Cowboys, who were looking to improve their depth at the defensive end position with the suspensions to DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory.
He was declared inactive for the second game of the season and missed two additional contests with a strained hamstring. In the fifth game against the Cincinnati Bengals, his role in the defensive line rotation increased after passing defensive end Benson Mayowa on the depth chart, but because he didn't have an impact pressuring the quarterback in the following contests, Mayowa regained his spot in the twelfth game against the Minnesota Vikings. Davis was declared inactive in three games, before being activated against the Detroit Lions, but suffered a knee injury and did not play many snaps. He was placed on the injured reserve list on December 28. He finished the season with 3 tackles (one for loss), 6 quarterback pressures and one fumble recovery. He was released on March 9, 2017.
On March 13, 2017, Davis signed with the Buffalo Bills, who were changing to a 4-3 defense under new head coach Sean McDermott. He appeared in 16 games playing multiple positions along the defensive line as a backup, while recording 26 tackles (5 for loss), 3 sacks (tied for second on the team) and one forced fumble.
Los Angeles RamsEdit
On July 24, 2018, Davis was signed by the Los Angeles Rams, with the intention of playing him at outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He was placed on injured reserve on August 31. He was released with an injury settlement on September 4.
Orlando Apollos (AAF)Edit
In 2019, Davis joined the Orlando Apollos of the Alliance of American Football as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. In the season opener against the Atlanta Legends, Davis recorded the first sack in Apollos franchise history during the 40–6 victory.
In the Week 2 game against the San Antonio Commanders, he suffered a bruise to his spinal area that pulled him out of the game. He was placed on the injured reserve list on March 5. The league ceased operations in April. He appeared in 2 games at defensive end, making 4 tackles and one sack.
Toronto Argonauts (CFL)Edit
On December 20, 2019, Davis was signed by the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, with the intention of playing him at defensive end. After the CFL canceled the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Davis chose to opt-out of his contract with the Argonauts on August 28, 2020.
- "Jaguars sign 17 rookie Free Agents". www.jaguars.com. April 30, 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2020.
- "Jaguars activate DE Ryan Davis from practice squad". www.jaguars.com. November 15, 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2020.
- Kernan, Sean (December 10, 2013). "Ryan Davis makes another game-ending play for Jacksonville Jaguars". News-JournalOnline.com. Retrieved May 11, 2020.
- Oehser, John (September 3, 2016). "Down to 53: LB Davis, OG Bernadeau released". Jaguars.com. Archived from the original on August 13, 2017.
- Phillips, Rob. "Cowboys Sign Veteran Defensive End Davis For Pass Rush Depth". DallasCowboys.com. Archived from the original on September 15, 2016.
- Halprin, Dave (December 28, 2016). "Cowboys Lose A Defensive Lineman To Injury, Sign A New Player To Take His Place". BloggingTheBoys.com.
- Brown, Chris (March 13, 2017). "Bills add a defensive end in free agency". BuffaloBills.com. Archived from the original on July 13, 2017. Retrieved June 14, 2020.
- "Report: Bills release DE Ryan Davis". USAToday.com. March 23, 2018. Retrieved June 14, 2020.
- Simmons, Myles (July 24, 2018). "Rams Place Easley, Okoronkwo on PUP, Sign Four". TheRams.com. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- Simmons, Myles (August 12, 2018). "Rams' late signing of Ryan Davis could be answer at OLB". ESPN. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Rams Make Initial Roster Cuts". TheRams.com. July 31, 2020. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Orlando Apollos Set Final Roster". Our Sports Central. January 30, 2019. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Former Jags Ryan Davis, Bryce Canady aid Apollos to first AAF victory". Jags Wire. February 10, 2019. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Orlando Apollos' Ryan Davis suffers spinal injury after colliding with teammate during game". Fox News. July 31, 2020. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- Michael Rothstein, Seth Wickersham (June 13, 2019). "Inside the short, unhappy life of the Alliance of American Football". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 12, 2020.
- "ARGOS ADD TWO AMERICANS: DL DAVIS AND WR ZICO". Argonauts.ca. December 20, 2019. Retrieved July 12, 2020.
- "Tracking players who have exercised opt-outs". CFL.ca. August 26, 2020. Retrieved August 29, 2020.