Ryan Duane Couture (born August 27, 1982) is an American professional mixed martial artist currently competing in the Welterweight division of Bellator MMA. A professional competitor since 2009, he has formerly competed for the UFC and Strikeforce. He is the son of UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture.
|Born||Ryan Duane Couture|
August 27, 1982
Edmonds, Washington, United States
|Residence||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||168.8 lb (76.6 kg; 12.06 st)|
|Reach||76+1⁄2 in (194 cm)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable relatives||Randy Couture, father|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Couture grew up in Woodinville, Washington and attended Woodinville High School. During his senior year, Couture placed third in the Washington State 4A wrestling championship. Couture attended Western Washington University from 2000 until 2004 and graduated with a degree in mathematics. Before he began pursuing an MMA career, Couture worked at a bank, and trained with Nicolas Lipari.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
Couture began fighting in 2009 and compiled a 5–1–1 record as an amateur.
He made his professional debut at Strikeforce Challengers: Riggs vs. Taylor on August 13, 2010. He debuted in the Strikeforce promotion's lightweight division, defeating Lucas Stark via triangle choke in the first round.
Couture fought at Strikeforce Challengers: Beerbohm vs. Healy against Lee Higgins and won the bout via rear-naked choke in the 3rd round. The victory over Higgins upped Couture's professional record to 2–0, with both fights coming under the Strikeforce banner.
In his next fight, Couture faced Matt Ricehouse at Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry. He lost via unanimous decision.
Couture rebounded from the first loss of his career when he defeated Maka Watson via majority decision at Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough.
Having spent his entire professional career in the Strikeforce promotion, Couture was featured on their final show as he faced former EliteXC World Lightweight Champion. K.J. Noons at Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine on January 12, 2013. Despite being outstruck by Noons in each round, Couture was awarded a split decision victory.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Following a signing of his father Randy to Bellator as an on-screen, non-fighting personality, UFC president Dana White, was questioned about what type of relationship Couture now had with the UFC, as White was quite upset at a perceived betrayal by Randy. White made it clear that Couture is welcome in the UFC, and that he will not be punished for his father's relationship with him. However, White did state that Randy will not be allowed to corner his son at UFC events.
Couture was expected to face Quinn Mulhern in a lightweight bout on August 31, 2013 at UFC 164. However, Mulhern pulled out of the bout in mid-July citing an injury and was replaced by Al Iaquinta. He lost the bout via unanimous decision. After back to back losses he was released from the UFC.
Couture returned to the cage on the smaller circuit and he has since rattled off 2 straight victories, both being finishes defeating Kyle Sjafiroeddin by rear naked choke in the first round on January 18, 2014 at Battlegrounds MMA 3. Then defeating Shakir McKillip with the same method early in the second round on May 17, 2014 at Battlegrounds MMA 4.
Couture was scheduled to face Nick Gonzalez on September 25, 2015 at Bellator 143. However, Gonzalez weighed in at 172.75 pounds, over sixteen pounds past the lightweight limit, and the fight was cancelled.
Couture was expected to face Derek Anderson at Bellator 148 on January 29, 2016. However, Anderson was injured and replaced by Patricky Freire. Couture lost the bout via knockout in the first round.
In 2020, he announced that he had been appointed to be his father's successor as the CEO of Xtreme Couture. In the same interview Ryan mentioned that he is most likely retired from professional mixed martial arts competition.
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||12 wins||6 losses|
|Win||12–6||Haim Gozali||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 209||November 16, 2018||3||5:00||Tel Aviv, Israel|
|Loss||11–6||Saad Awad||TKO (punches)||Bellator 201||June 29, 2018||1||4:29||Temecula, California, United States|
|Win||11–5||Haim Gozali||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 180||June 24, 2017||3||5:00||New York City, New York, United States||Welterweight debut.|
|Loss||10–5||Goiti Yamauchi||Submission (armbar)||Bellator 162||October 21, 2016||1||1:01||Memphis, Tennessee, United States|
|Loss||10–4||Patricky Freire||KO (punch)||Bellator 148||January 29, 2016||1||3:00||Fresno, California, United States|
|Win||10–3||Dakota Cochrane||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 135||March 27, 2015||1||3:23||Thackerville, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||9–3||Tom Bagnasco||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 124||September 12, 2014||1||3:01||Plymouth Township, Michigan, United States|
|Win||8–3||Shakir McKillip||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Battlegrounds MMA 4||May 17, 2014||2||1:34||Enid, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||7–3||Kyle Sjafiroeddin||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Battlegrounds MMA 3||January 18, 2014||1||2:14||Norman, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||6–3||Al Iaquinta||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 164||August 31, 2013||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||6–2||Ross Pearson||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||April 6, 2013||2||3:45||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||6–1||K.J. Noons||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine||January 12, 2013||3||5:00||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||5–1||Joe Duarte||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy||July 14, 2012||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||4–1||Conor Heun||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey||March 3, 2012||3||2:52||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||3–1||Maka Watson||Decision (majority)||Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough||September 23, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Matt Ricehouse||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry||June 24, 2011||3||5:00||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Win||2–0||Lee Higgins||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Beerbohm vs. Healy||February 18, 2011||3||4:41||Cedar Park, Texas, United States|
|Win||1–0||Lucas Stark||Submission (triangle choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Riggs vs. Taylor||August 13, 2010||1||1:15||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
- Danny Segura (July 5, 2020). "Ryan Couture announces new role as Xtreme Couture CEO, says MMA career likely over". mmajunkie.com.
- Mixed martial arts show results Date: September 23, 2011
- "After grueling amateur fight, Strikeforce's Ryan Couture knew it was time to go pro". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2010-08-09. Archived from the original on 2010-08-15. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Strikeforce Signs Ryan Couture". SHERDOG.com. 2010-07-29. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Ryan Couture Out of Strikeforce Challengers XII". mmafighting.com. 2010-11-02. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 21, 2011. Retrieved January 20, 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Strikeforce Challengers 14 Results: Pat Healy Hands Lyle Beerbohm First Loss, Ryan Couture Wins". MMAWeekly.com. 2011-02-19. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Conor Heun Meets Ryan Couture at Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey". MMAWeekly.com. 2012-01-23. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "STRIKEFORCE® MARQUARDT VS. SAFFIEDINE". strikeforce.com. 2012-11-30.
- "Strikeforce - Couture vs. Noons, Results and Stats". fightmetric.com. 2013-01-12. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "UFC 156 Dana White Post-Fight Media Scrum". mmaheat.com. 2013-02-13.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 9 adds Couture-Pearson". mmajunkie.comdate=February 9, 2013.
- "Quinn Mulhern drops to lightweight, faces Ryan Couture at UFC 164". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-16). "Quinn Mulhern out, Al Iaquinta meets Ryan Couture at UFC 164 in Milwaukee". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Steven Marrocco (September 25, 2013). "Following back-to-back losses, UFC releases Ryan Couture". mmajunkie.com.
- "Former UFC, Strikeforce fighter Ryan Couture set to return to MMA on Jan 18". mmajunkie.com. 2014-01-04.
- "Ryan Couture Signs with Bellator". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Ryan Couture more hungry than ever, heading into Bellator debut". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Bellator 135 adds Francis Carmont-Guilherme Viana, Dakota Cochrane-Ryan Couture". mmajunkie.com. February 2, 2015.
- "Bellator 135: Live Results & Full Recap". themmacorner.com. March 27, 2015.
- Alexander, Mookie (2015-09-24). "Bellator lightweight misses lightweight, welterweight limit for Ryan Couture fight". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-09-25.
- "Patricky Freire in for injured Derek Anderson vs. Ryan Couture at Bellator 148". mmafighting.com. January 12, 2016.
- "Gozali-Couture 2 & Dandois-Rubin Set For Bellator 209". MMA TakeOver. 2018-08-21. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- Dave Doyle (June 24, 2017). "Bellator 180 results: Ryan Couture grinds out win over Haim Gozali". mmafighting.com.
- Sherdog.com. "Ryan Couture MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-11-21.