This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
18 January 1973
|Known for||Linux kernel development, Free Software advocacy|
Russell wrote the packet filtering systems ipchains and netfilter/iptables in the Linux operating system kernel. Linus Torvalds referred to him as one of his "top deputies" in 2003. In 2002, Russell announced the creation of the Trivial Patch Monkey, an email address for kernel hackers to submit trivial patches such as spelling errors, one-liners, documentation tweaks and other minor amendments to the code base. Adrian Bunk took over the role in 2005. In 2006 Russell started work as the major developer of the "lguest" virtualisation system in the Linux Kernel. In October 2009, he was officially given a SAMBA Team T-shirt welcoming him to the Samba Team. In 2014 he started pettycoin, a cryptocurrency project. Rusty Russell authored the majority part of Bitcoin's Lightning Network protocol specification.
Australian Free Software communityEdit
Russell is intellectual property advisor to Linux Australia and is active in advocating against and critiquing intellectual property elements of the Free Trade Agreement between Australia and the United States. He was also a member of the Linux Australia committee in 2004.
- Russell, Rusty; Quinlan, Daniel, eds. (23 May 2001). "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard — Version 2.2 final Filesystem Hierarchy Standard Group" (PDF). Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Russell, Rusty; Quinlan, Daniel; Yeoh, Christopher, eds. (28 January 2004). "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard - Filesystem Hierarchy Standard Group" (PDF). Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- "OzLabs". Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- Jeremy Andrews (23 September 2003). "Interview: Rusty Russell". KernelTrap. Archived from the original on 11 May 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2007.
- Stephen Shankland (8 July 2003). "Torvalds: What, me worry?". News.com. Archived from the original on 16 June 2011. Retrieved 7 May 2007.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- Paul 'Rusty' Russell. "lguest patches repository". Ozlabs. Archived from the original on 12 October 2007. Retrieved 28 October 2007.
- Jonathan Corbet (2 February 2007). "lguest: Spartan virtualization for Linux". IDG Communications. Retrieved 17 December 2007.
- Paul 'Rusty' Russell. "SAMBA Coding and a Little Kernel". Ozlabs. Retrieved 27 October 2009.
- "rustyrussell/pettycoin". GitHub.
- "pettycoin.org - losing tiny amounts of money at scale". pettycoin.org.
- Chris Duckett (31 January 2007). "Talking IP with Kimberlee Weatherall and Rusty Russell". Builder.au. Retrieved 7 May 2007.
- "Linux Australia Committee". Linux Australia. Archived from the original on 3 June 2007. Retrieved 7 May 2007.
- "Linux Australia Awards". Linux Australia. Archived from the original on 20 August 2006.