Coast Guard (Russia)
The Coast Guard of the Border Service of the FSB (Russian: Береговая охрана Пограничной службы ФСБ России, Beregovaya okhrana Pogranichnoy sluzhby FSB Rossii), previously known as the Maritime Units of the KGB Border Troops (Russian: Морские части Пограничных Войск КГБ СССР), is the coast guard of the Russian Federation. The Coast Guard is part of the Border Guard Service of Russia under the Federal Security Service of Russia (Береговая охрана Пограничной службы ФСБ России).
|Coast Guard of the Border Service of FSB|
Береговая охрана ПС ФСБ России
|Role||Coastal defense, maritime law enforcement, search and rescue|
|Part of|| Federal Security Service|
|Equipment||Vessels and aircraft|
|Engagements||War against piracy|
Annexation of Crimea
|Commander of the Coast Guard||Admiral Yuri Alekseyev|
The roots of the Coast Guard lie in the Russian Maritime Forces of the KGB's Border Services.
Training and studyEdit
The Russian Coast Guard has various missions, such as the protection of Russian maritime borders, ensuring safe navigation in territorial waters, assisting vessels and aircraft, weather reconnaissance, fisheries protection, and fighting against smuggling and piracy. To perform these missions the Russian Coast Guard uses a variety of vessels and aircraft.
The Russian Coast Guard is equipped with a variety of vessels, aircraft, and small arms/mounted weapons.
Vessels of the Russian Coast Guard are:
- Frigates (FFG): 2 - Nerei class/Krivak III class
- Corvettes: 4 - Pauk-class corvette
- Offshore patrol vessels: 27 - various types, 11 - Rubin class patrol boat, 1 - Okean class patrol vessel
- Patrol Icebreakers: 2 - Ivan Susanin class icebreaker, 4 - Purga class icebreaker
- Patrol boats (PCF): At least 112 patrol boats, 23 - Sobol class patrol boat, 28 - Svetlyak-class patrol boat, 56 - Mangust class patrol boat (2 are part of the Navy), 3 - Rondo class patrol boat, 3 - Mirage class patrol vessel, 1 - Zhuk-class patrol boat, 2 - Sokzhoy class patrol boat, 3 - Mustang 2-class patrol boat
- River craft: 17 - Vosh class river patrol craft, 8 - Piyavka class river patrol craft, 4 - Ogonek class river patrol craft, 1 - Yaz-class river patrol craft
- Coastal logistics ships: 7 - Neon Antonov class coastal logistics ship
- Seagoing tug: 15 - Sorum class seagoing tug
The number of vessels listed above are based on a list of currently active Russian Coast Guard vessels.
The Russian Coast Guard uses a variety of weapons, this includes but is not limited to the AK series of rifles, pistols, grenade based weapons such as the DP-64 hand anti-diver grenade launcher and the 30 mm AGS-17 automatic grenade launcher, and a variety of machine guns from 7.62 mm machine guns to 14.5 mm machine guns. Large weapons aboard vessels can be anything from naval guns, torpedoes, and missiles.
- Hazegrey.org, World Navies Today: Maritime Units of the Russian Border Guard Forces
- "Sea Guard of the Border Guard Service". GlobalSecurity. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- bmpd (1 January 2015). "Закупки ФСБ: вертолеты Ми-35М, очередные ПСКР "Охотник" и "Океан"". Archived from the original on 22 July 2016. Retrieved 1 August 2017. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Погранслужба ФСБ получила сторожевой корабль для охраны границ в Арктике". 22 January 2017. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "ЦАМТО / Новости / Пограничный корабль «Полярная звезда» прибыл к месту постоянного базирования в порт Мурманска". www.armstrade.org. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "Coast Guard of the Border Service of the FSB - List of Current Ships 2017". Russianships.info. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Ship-based Ka-226T Delivered For Russian Coast Guard". aviationweek. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "RUSSIAN Coast Guard Camcopter S 100". Youtube. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Project 12150 "Mangoost"". oaoosk. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Combat training of russian coast guards and special FSB". alamy. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Nerey class". navalanalyses. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Есть такой корабль... "Анадырь"". Youtube. AK used at time 3:46.