Russell Smith (referee)
Russell Smith is a former rugby league referee who now administers and coaches match officials.
Smith controlled his first Rugby Football League Championship match on 9 September 1990, a match between Featherstone Rovers and Hull Kingston Rovers. His first international was between Australia and New Zealand on 20 June 1993.
After retiring, Smith became a video official and, after a stint as the interim boss, acted as a senior advisor to the referees boss, Daniel Anderson. He was a match officials coach at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.
- Ferguson, Shawn Dollin and Andrew. "- Russell Smith (referee)". Rugby League Project.
- "Smith quits after 15 years as ref". BBC News. 7 September 2006.
- "It's official! Top ref Russell's ready to take on best". Yorkshire Evening Post.
- "Referee Russell Smith,right, reveals how the decision to swap the cosy familiarity of Castleford for the sun, sea and surf of Sydney is proving to be a dream move for both him and his family". Yorkshire Post.
- "Russell Smith placed in temporary charge of referees in Australia's NRL". Sky Sports.
- "Russell Smith set to lead NRL refs". Love Rugby League. 31 May 2012.
- "Archer, Smith in line for top ref jobs". Daily Telegraph.
- Carayananis, Michael (22 August 2013). "Former NRL referee Harrigan blasts Anderson". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- "RLWC2017 Match Officials Announced". RLWC2017. 9 October 2017.