Ruokolahti (Swedish: Ruokolax) is a municipality of Finland, situated in south-eastern Finland, in the region of South Karelia. Neighbouring municipalities are Imatra, Lappeenranta, Taipalsaari, Puumala, Sulkava, Punkaharju, Parikkala and Rautjärvi. Ruokolahti covers an area of 1,219.85 square kilometres (470.99 sq mi) of which 23% is water.
Location of Ruokolahti in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Antti Pätilä|
|• Total||1,219.85 km2 (470.99 sq mi)|
|• Land||943.50 km2 (364.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||276.4 km2 (106.7 sq mi)|
|Area rank||81st largest in Finland|
|• Rank||171st largest in Finland|
|• Density||5.54/km2 (14.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.6%|
|• 15 to 64||61.5%|
|• 65 or older||24.9%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||18.5%|
Ruokolahti is known for its natural environment.[weasel words] In the west there is the Lake Saimaa and in the east there are hundreds of smaller lakes. The Salpausselkä ridges run through the area. It is also the town in which sniper Simo Häyhä, spent the last years of his life.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, elokuu 2017" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Hupponen, Paula (14 December 2003). "General Information". Discover Ruokolahti. Ruokolahti: Municipality of Ruokolahti. Retrieved 15 February 2009. (Text from Discover Ruokolahti web site with a permission.)