Ruma Guha Thakurta
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ruma Guha Thakurta
3 November 1934
|Died||3 June 2019 (aged 84)|
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
(m. 1951; div. 1958)
Arup Guha Thakurta
(m. after 1960, died)
Guha Thakurta was born on 3 November 1934 to Satyen Ghosh (Monty Ghosh) and singer Sati Devi. Guha Thakurta 's family was culturally inclined to Brahmo Samaj, a societal component of Brahmoism. Sati was a trained vocalist and elder sister to Bijoya Ray, wife of Satyajit Ray. Guha Thakurta began as a dancer. Later, she went to Almora Academy of Uday Shankar at Lahore to study dance. She started training in music at Swarabitan in Kolkata, which had been established by her parents. In later years, she studied under Abdul Rehman Khan of Patiala gharana, the Ustad of Nirmla Devi and Lakshmi Shankar in Bombay.
She married Kishore Kumar in 1951 and had a son Amit Kumar by this marriage. The couple divorced in 1958 and she married Arup Guha Thakurta in 1960. The couple had two children, Ayan and Sromona. Sromona is also a singer.
Guha Thakurta made her acting debut in Amiya Chakravarty's Jwar Bhata (1944) at age ten. This was the debut film of Dilip Kumar. Her next film as Ruma Ghosh was Nitin Bose's Mashaal (1950) in Hindi, which had a Bengali version called Samar, adapted from Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay's novel Rajani. She portrayed a blind girl, Sarla.
After her divorce, Ruma moved to Calcutta to act in Rajen Tarafdar’s Ganga based on Samaresh Bose’s eponymous cult novel. She acted as one of two leading ladies, with Sandhya Roy. Ganga won the National award for Best Feature Film that year and Ruma's portrayal of Himi received critical acclamation. In the same year, she acted in Personal Assistant opposite to Bhanu Bandopadhayay and in Khaniker Atithi by Tapan Sinha.
Her film career revived in 1962 with Benarasi, produced by her and directed by her husband. It was the tale of a courtesan who tries to lead a life of dignity and respect, when her childhood sweetheart, Ratan, takes her away from her terrible environment. It flopped, but won the BFJA Award for Best Feature Film the following year.
As an actressEdit
|1944||Jwar Bhata||Amiya Chakrvarty||Hindi|
|1950||Mashaal||Sarala Das||Nitin Bose||Hindi|
|1952||Rag Rang||Digvijay||Ruma Devi||Hindi|
|1959||Personal Assistant||Rumali Sen||Chitrakar Bengali||(as Ruma Devi)|
|Khaniker Atithi||Mita||Tapan Sinha||Bengali||(as Ruma Ganguly)|
|Nirjan Saikate||Chhoto Bou||Tapan Sinha||Bengali|
|1964||Kinu Gowalar Gali||Theater Actress||O. C Ganguly||Bengali|
|Subha O Debatar Gras|
|Prabhater Rang||Ajoy Kar||Bengali|
|1966||Joradighir Chowdhury Paribar||Ajit Lahiri||Bengali|
|1967||Antony Firingee||Jogweshwari||Sunil Bannerjee||Bengali|
|Balika Badhu||Tarun Majumdar||Bengali|
|1969||Arogya Niketan||Pradyot's mother||Bijoy Bose||Bengali|
|1974||Jadi Jantem||Ranu Basu||Yatrik||Bengali|
|1980||Dadar Kirti||Saraswati, Beena's Mother||Tarun Majumdar||Bengali|
|1981||36 Chowringhee Lane||Nandita's Mother||English|
|Maa Bipat Tarini Chandi|
|Amrita Kumbher Sandhane||Bengali|
|1985||Bhalobasa Bhalobasa||Keya's Mother||Bengali|
|Amar Sangi||Jhilik's Mother||Sujit Guha||Bengali|
|Tumi Koto Sundar|
|1989||Ganashatru||Maya Gupta||Satyajit Ray||Bengali|
|Asha O Bhalobasha||Roopa's Mother||Sujit Guha||Bengali|
|Aakrosh||Samrat's Foster Mother||Sujit Guha||Bengali|
|1991||Path O Prasad||Bengali|
|1994||Wheel Chair||Sushmita's Mother||Tapan Sinha|
|2006||The Namesake||Ashoke's Mother||English||(final film role)|
As a playback singerEdit
|1966||Joradighir Chowdhury Paribar|
|1976||Mera Dharam Meri Maa|
|1982||Amrita Kumbher Sandhane|
- "Read about 4 wives of Kishore Kumar". indiatvnews.com. March 2016. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "4 Weddings And More: The Women In Kishore Kumar's Life". mansworldindia.com. 3 August 2017. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Actress Ruma Guha Thakurta, Kishore Kumar's first wife, dies at 84 in Kolkata". India Today. 3 June 2019. Retrieved 27 November 2019.
- "Bappi Lahiri catches up with Kishore Kumar s wives Ruma Guha Thakurta and Leena Chandavarkar". mid-day. 25 February 2018. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Jwar Bhata (1944) – Review, Star Cast, News, Photos". Cinestaan. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Manaivi Ready (1987) – Review, Star Cast, News, Photos". Cinestaan. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- Sarkar, Roushni. "Sandhya Roy, Debashree Roy grateful for their mentoring by co-artiste Ruma Guha Thakurta". cinestaan.com. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Mashal (1950) – Review, Star Cast, News, Photos | Cinestaan". Cinestaan. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Mashal". osianama.com. Retrieved 30 May 2018.