The Rubia Gallega, Galician: Rubia Galega, is a breed of cattle native to the autonomous community of Galicia in north-western Spain. It is raised mainly for meat.:143 It is distributed throughout Galicia, with about 75% of the population concentrated in the province of Lugo. The coat may be red-blond, wheaten, or cinnamon-coloured.:145
Rubia Gallega cattle at Garita de Erbeira, near Cape Ortegal
|Conservation status||FAO (2007): not at risk:106|
|Country of origin||Spain|
|Distribution||Galicia, principally the province of Lugo|
|Standard||MAGRAMA (in Spanish)|
|Coat||red-blond, wheaten or cinnamon-coloured:145|
At the end of 2015, the total registered Rubia Gallega population was 39,971, of which almost all were in Galicia. The breed is distributed throughout the autonomous community, with about 75% of the population concentrated in Lugo. It is found particularly at altitudes above about 550 m in the mountainous areas in the northern part of the province, including the Serra da Carba, the Serra de Lourenzá, and the Serra de Xistral.:74
The Rubia Gallega is primarily a beef cattle breed. The milk is used in the production of Tetilla cheese, which has had Denominación de Origen certification since 1993 and European DOP certification since 1996. The Rubia Gallega has a tranquil temperament and is suitable for draught work; however, it is slow in comparison to oxen of other breeds.:109
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rubia Gallega.|
- Barbara Rischkowsky, D. Pilling (eds.) (2007). List of breeds documented in the Global Databank for Animal Genetic Resources, annex to The State of the World's Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ISBN 9789251057629. Accessed January 2016.
- Breed data sheet: Rubia Gallega/Spain. Domestic Animal Diversity Information System of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Accessed January 2016.
- Miguel Fernández Rodríguez, Mariano Gómez Fernández, Juan Vicente Delgado Bermejo, Silvia Adán Belmonte, Miguel Jiménez Cabras (eds.) (2009). Guía de campo de las razas autóctonas españolas (in Spanish). Madrid: Ministerio de Medio Ambiente y Medio Rural y Marino. ISBN 9788449109461.
- Raza bovina Rubia Gallega (in Spanish). Ministerio de Agricultura, Alimentación y Medio Ambiente. Accessed January 2016.
- M. H. French, I. Johansson (1969). Razas Europeas de Ganado Bovino, volume II (in Spanish). Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Raza bovina Rubia Gallega: Datos censales (in Spanish). Ministerio de Agricultura, Alimentación y Medio Ambiente. Accessed April 2016.
- M. Legide and A. Ceular (April 1994). La raza Rubia Gallega ecotipo de montaña (in Spanish). Animal Genetic Resources / Resources génétiques animales / Recursos genéticos animales. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ISSN 2078-6344. 14: 73–78. doi:10.1017/S1014233900000353
- Fletcher, Janet (June 15, 2006). "A cheese to please those who like it mild". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Denominación de Origen Protegida "Queso Tetilla" (in Spanish). Ministerio de Agricultura, Alimentación y Medio Ambiente. Accessed January 2016.
|This cattle-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|