RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars (season 1)
The first season of RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars premiered on the Logo network on October 22, 2012. Contestants from the original RuPaul's Drag Race show returned to compete again. Cast members were announced on August 6.
|RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars|
|No. of contestants||12|
|Companion show||RuPaul's Drag Race: Untucked!|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Original release||October 22 –|
November 26, 2012
This season features 12 returning contestants representing all four seasons. It aired six one-hour episodes. Contestants were judged on their "charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent" and, since they competed in teams of two, also "synergy". The winner received a supply of MAC cosmetics, a "one of a kind trip" and $100,000. The theme song playing during the runway every episode is "Sexy Drag Queen" (dootdoot 'doot-swift' Remix) and the song playing during the credits is "Responsitrannity" (Matt Pop's Edit), the latter of which is originally from RuPaul's album Glamazon.
The first episode introduced several changes to the rules for the All Stars competition. Queens competed in teams of two, determined by the contestants themselves. Both members of the losing team would be eliminated each week. The bottom two teams chose one member to "lip synch for their lives". The non-lip synching teammates had the option during the first minute of the performance to declare a "she-mergency", hit a panic button and "tag in" to complete the performance. Mimi Imfurst and Pandora Boxx teamed up to form "Team Mandora", Tammie Brown and Nina Flowers teamed up to form "Team Brown Flowers", Latrice Royale and Manila Luzon teamed up to form "Team Latrilla", Yara Sofia and Alexis Mateo teamed up to form "Team Yaralexis", Raven and Jujubee teamed up to form "Team Rujubee" and Shannel and eventual winner Chad Michaels teamed up to form "Team Shad". RuPaul dedicated the first episode in memory of Sahara Davenport, a former competitor in season 2 of RuPaul's Drag Race who died due to heart failure.
Ages, names, and cities stated are at time of filming.
|Contestant||Age||Hometown||Original season||Original placement||Outcome|
|Chad Michaels||41||San Diego, California||Season 4||Runner-up||Winner|
|Raven||33||Riverside, California||Season 2||Runner-up||Runner-up|
|Shannel||32||Long Beach, California||Season 1||4th Place||3rd/4th Place|
|Jujubee||28||Boston, Massachusetts||Season 2||3rd Place|
|Alexis Mateo||32||Tampa Bay, Florida||Season 3||3rd Place||5th/6th Place|
|Yara Sofia||28||Los Angeles, California||Season 3||4th Place[a]|
|Latrice Royale||40||South Beach, Florida||Season 4||4th Place[a]||7th/8th Place|
|Manila Luzon||27||New York, New York||Season 3||Runner-up|
|Nina Flowers||38||Denver, Colorado||Season 1||Runner-up[a]||9th/10th Place|
|Tammie Brown||31||Long Beach, California||Season 1||8th Place|
|Mimi Imfurst||29||New York, New York||Season 3||11th Place||11th/12th Place|
|Pandora Boxx||39||Los Angeles, California||Season 2||5th Place[a]|
- This contestant won Miss Congeniality in her original season.
|Brown Flowers||Nina Flowers||SAFE||ELIM|
- The contestant won RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars.
- The contestant was the runner-up.
- The contestant was eliminated without lip-syncing entirely.
- The team won the main challenge.
- The team members received positive critiques and were ultimately declared safe.
- The team members received critiques, but were ultimately declared safe.
- The team members received negative critiques, but were ultimately declared safe.
- The contestant was in the bottom two and lip synced for the team's life.
- The contestant was in the bottom two, but did not lip sync for the team's life.
- The contestant did not lip sync for their life but was on the losing team and was eliminated.
- The contestant lip synced for their life and was eliminated.
- The contestant replaced her partner during the lip sync, finished the lip sync and was eliminated.
(Mimi Imfurst and Pandora Boxx)
|2||Team Brown Flowers
|"There's No Business Like Show Business"
|Team Brown Flowers|
(Nina Flowers and Tammie Brown)
(Latrice Royale and Manila Luzon)
(Alexis Mateo and Yara Sofia)
(The Pussycat Dolls ft. Busta Rhymes)
(Alexis Mateo and Yara Sofia)
|5||Jujubee||vs.||Raven||"Dancing on My Own"
|6||Chad Michaels||vs.||Raven||"Responsitrannity (Matt Pop Remix)"
- The contestant/team was eliminated after their first time lip-syncing.
- The contestant/team was eliminated after their second time lip-syncing.
- The contestant/team was eliminated after their fourth time lip-syncing.
Listed in chronological order:
- Rachel Hunter, actress and reality television show host
- Ross Mathews, comedian and television personality
- Busy Philipps, actress
- Vicki Lawrence, actress, comedian, and singer
- Rachel Dratch, actress and comedian
- Janice Dickinson, model, photographer, author, and talent agent
- Mary Wilson, singer, author, and actress
- Rosie Perez, actress, dancer, choreographer, director, and community activist
- Wendi McLendon-Covey, actress, writer, producer and comedian
- Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, actress and television hostess
- Beth Ditto, singer, songwriter and model
- Cheri Oteri, actress and comedian
|Title||Original air date|
|1||1||"It Takes Two"||October 22, 2012|
The twelve returning queens are surprised to learn they will be competing in teams of two and that both team members will be eliminated together. The contestants then voted for their team formations in two rounds;
|2||2||"RuPaul's Gaff-In"||October 29, 2012|
The mini-challenge, "In Da Butt Ru", tests how well the teams know each other by asking them questions in the style of The Newlywed Game. The winning team received cream pies to the face as its "prize".
For the main challenge, teams had to write original comedy material for a Laugh-In style sketch show. For the show the queens delivered celebrity impersonations:
In the companion series Untucked, Chad Michaels received a supportive video message from his father, from whom he had been estranged for 25 years.
|3||3||"Queens Behaving Badly"||November 5, 2012|
In the mini-challenge, the queens had to take a photographic self-portrait posed as a sexy macho male. Team Yarlexis won. For the main challenge each queen, under the direction of their partner via earpiece, had to go to Hollywood Boulevard and convince passers-by to participate in pranks, for example slapping the queen with a novelty foam hand or allowing the queen to spray whipped cream down the pedestrian's pants. Each prank was assigned a point value.
In the companion series Untucked, former contestant Tatianna served "Tea with Tati", in which she "read" (insulted) several of the remaining contestants.
|4||4||"All Star Girl Groups"||November 12, 2012|
In the mini challenge the girls had to dress up in cheer-leading costumes and "read" the other contestants in a cheer format. Team Yarlexis were the winners of this mini challenge. The main challenge was to form a girl group with celebrity women and drag them up into a Drag Girl Group. Team Yarlexis selected Kelly Osbourne (daughter of Ozzy Osbourne and Sharon Osbourne), Team Shad chose Jillian Hervey (Vanessa L. Williams's daughter) while Team Rujubee opted for Kady Z (Pia Zadora's daughter). Team Yarlexis' song to perform is "Cover Girl", Team Shad's song to perform is "Glamazon", and Team Rujubee's song to perform is "Jealous of My Boogie".
|5||5||"Dynamic Drag Duos"||November 19, 2012|
In the mini challenge, the remaining pairs played a basketball mini-challenge: Fish instead of Horse. Team Rujubee won and got a chance to talk to their love ones. For the main challenge, the teams created a story about a Super Hero and a Super Villain. Chad and Jujubee play their teams' superheroes, while Raven and Shannel play the villains.
|6||6||"The Grand Finale"||November 26, 2012|
For their final challenge, the final queens have to go to different locations within minutes of each other and perform different shows, consisting of a group interview, followed by an appearance at Hamburger Mary's to accept an award in their honor, and finish up with a comedy routine in front of a live audience.
Contestant appearances in other seasonsEdit
Latrice Royale and Manila Luzon competed again on the 4th season of All Stars. Manila ended up finishing in 6th place while Latrice placed 5th overall. Alexis Mateo and Jujubee competed on the fifth season of All Stars. Alexis placed 5th. Jujubee was a runner-up. Pandora Boxx and Yara Sofia are appearing on All Stars 6.
- RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race: Meet the Queens from www.newnownext.com 6 August 2012
- "Logo launching all-stars edition of 'RuPaul's Drag Race' -- Exclusive". Entertainment Weekly. March 12, 2012.
- RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race Premiere: Never Too Early to Throw Shade
- RuPaul will crown an all-star queen in new season of ‘Drag Race’
- "Every All Stars Werkroom Entrance (Compilation) RuPaul's Drag Race". Youtube. RuPaul's Drag Race. August 13, 2020. Retrieved December 29, 2020.
- "It Takes Two". RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars. Season 1. Episode 1. October 22, 2012.
- "RuPaul's Gaff-In". RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars. Season 1. Episode 2. October 29, 2012.
- "Queens Behaving Badly". RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars. Season 1. Episode 3. November 5, 2012.
- "All Stars Girl Groups". RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars. Season 1. Episode 4. November 12, 2012.
- "Dynamic Drag Duos". RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars. Season 1. Episode 5. November 19, 2012.
- "The Grand Finale". RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars. Season 1. Episode 6. November 26, 2012.
- RuPaul's All-Star Drag Race Contestant Photos and Guest Judges Revealed
- "RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars 4 line-up: Who's in the All Stars 4 cast? | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk". www.express.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-02-16.
- Nolfi, Joey (May 8, 2020). "RuPaul's Drag Race All-Stars 5 cast announced, series moves back to VH1". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 8, 2020.