The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland is a learned society and registered charity based in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was founded by, Thomas Haining Gillespie, in 1909. In 1913, Edinburgh Town Council bought a large plot of land on Corstorphine Hill for the society - this later opened to the public as Edinburgh Zoo. The Society received its Royal Charter in 1913. The principal objective of the Society mentioned in the original charter is:
|Founder||Thomas Haining Gillespie|
Highland Wildlife Park
- "Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, Registered Charity no. SC004064". Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator.
- "Review of Edinburgh Zoo". goodzoos.com website. Retrieved 15 June 2007.
- Cf. http://www.rzss.org.uk/about-rzss
- "History of Edinburgh Zoo". Edinburgh Zoo website. Archived from the original on 12 June 2007. Retrieved 15 June 2007.
- "Highland Wildlife Park at Kincraig hits 40th year". BBC News. 27 June 2012.