Royal Jubilee Hospital
The Royal Jubilee Hospital is a 500-bed general hospital in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada located about 3 km (1.9 mi) east of the city centre, in the Jubilee neighbourhood (itself named after the hospital).
|Royal Jubilee Hospital|
|Location||Victoria, British Columbia, Canada|
|Care system||Public Medicare (Canada)|
|Affiliated university||University of British Columbia|
|Helipad||TC LID: CBK8|
|Opened||May 20, 1890|
|Website||Royal Jubilee Hospital|
|Lists||Hospitals in Canada|
Its name commemorates the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887. Founded in 1890, Royal Jubilee was Victoria's main hospital until 1983, when an expanded Victoria General Hospital re-opened in the suburban municipality of View Royal. Royal Jubilee offers critical-care, surgery, diagnostics, emergency facilities and other patient programs. It has a particular focus on cardiac medicine.
In 2007, the British Columbia government announced that it would expand and renovate the hospital, increasing the number of beds to 500 and replacing many buildings. The new 500-bed patient care centre (PCC) was opened to the public in early 2011.
See BC Cancer Agency for a map of the grounds with parking and buildings shown. Island Health also hosts a PDF campus map for the Royal Jubilee Hospital, as well as the variety of services offered at RJH.
Begbie Hall, a three-storey former nurses' residence at the hospital, was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1989 to commemorate the growing professionalism of nursing in the early 20th century and the contribution of nurses to health care in Canada. Today the Begbie Hall is used for administrative offices, and contains the Woodward Theatre for meetings. The Woodward Theatre was apparently the original cafeteria for the resident nurses.
Pemberton Memorial Operating RoomEdit
The octagonal Pemberton Memorial Operating Room, completed in 1896, was designated a National Historic Site in 2005. It is an octagonal brick operating room; a rare surviving example of a late 19th-century surgical facility from the period when hospitals were transitioning from primarily charitable to scientific institutions.
- Ewert, Henry (1986). The story of the B.C. Electric Railway Company. North Vancouver, B.C.: Whitecap Books. p. 12. ISBN 978-0920620540.
- Victoria Hospitals Foundation: Milestones
- University of British Columbia, Department of Orthopaedics: Vancouver Island Health Authority
- Premier Gordon Campbell's Video Gallery: New Royal Jubilee Hospital
- Begbie Hall. Canadian Register of Historic Places. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Personal anecdote, current employee. Needs to be confirmed. April, 2014.
- Pemberton Memorial Operating Room. Canadian Register of Historic Places. Retrieved 28 January 2012.