Roy Powell (rugby league)
Roy Colin Powell (30 April 1965 – 27 December 1998) was an English professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1980s and 1990s. He played at representative level for Great Britain, and at club level for St John Fisher (in Dewsbury), Leeds, Bradford Northern, Featherstone Rovers, Batley and Rochdale Hornets, as a prop, or second-row, i.e. number 8 or 10, or 11 or 12.
|Full name||Roy Colin Powell|
|Born||30 April 1965|
|Died||27 December 1998 (aged 33)|
Powell won caps for Great Britain while at Leeds in 1985 against France (sub), in 1988 against France (2 matches), Australia (sub), Australia (2 matches), and New Zealand, in 1989 against France (2 matches), and New Zealand (2 matches), in 1990 against Papua New Guinea (2 matches), New Zealand (2 matches) (sub), New Zealand, Australia, and Australia (sub), and in 1991 against France (sub). He was selected to go on the 1988 Great Britain Lions tour.
Powell played left-second-row, i.e. number 11, in Leeds' 33–12 victory over Castleford in the 1988 Yorkshire County Cup Final during the 1988–89 season at Elland Road, Leeds on Sunday 16 October 1988. Powell played left-second-row , i.e. number 11, in Leeds' 14–15 defeat by St. Helens in the 1987–88 John Player Special Trophy Final during the 1987–88 season at Central Park, Wigan on Saturday 9 January 1988, and played right-prop, i.e. number 10, in 8–15 defeat by Wigan in the 1992–93 Regal Trophy Final during the 1992–93 season at Elland Road, Leeds on Saturday 23 January 1993. Powell played in Batley's victory over Oldham in the 1998–99 Trans-Pennine Cup Final during the 1998–99 season.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "23rd January 1993: Bradford 8 Wigan 15 (Regal Trophy Final)". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- !Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk (statistics currently missing due to not having appeared for both Great Britain, and England)[dead link]
- (archived by web.archive.org) Profile at leedsrugby.dnsupdate.co.uk
- (archived by web.archive.org) Crooks in trouble
- (archived by web.archive.org) When Britain defeated the Aussies
- Obituary at independent.co.uk
- Photograph "Roy Powell on the burst - Roy Powell was a tireless and most enthusiastic player. A true gentleman of the game. He played 132 times for Northern from 1992 until he moved on to Featherstone in 1995. Roy tragically died two days after Christmas whilst training with Batley (sic) in 1998 aged 33 – 01/01/1993" at rlhp.co.uk