Rovnyy Island or Arka Island is an island in Shelikhov Bay, Sea of Okhotsk.
|Coordinates: 60°51′30″N 163°17′20″E / 60.85833°N 163.28889°E|
|Federal subject||Far Eastern Federal District|
|Elevation||208 m (682 ft)|
Rovnyy Island is 2.2 km long and 1.4 km wide. It is located off the eastern coast of Penzhina Bay, separated from the continental shore by a 6.8 km wide sound. Administratively it belongs to the Kamchatka Krai.
American whaleships cruised for bowhead whales off the island from 1860 to 1889. They called it Umbrella Island.
- ^ GoogleEarth
- ^ Ostrov Arka / Kamtchatski Kray
- ^ Zoosystematica Rossica. Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences. p. 105. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- ^ Ostrov Rovnyy
- ^ Othello, of New Bedford, August 30, 1860, Peabody Essex Museum #751.
- ^ Onward, of New Bedford, July 12, 1864, George Blunt White Library (GBWL) #856.
- ^ E. F. Herriman, of San Francisco, July 12, 1889, GBWL #761.