Rovman Powell (born 23 July 1993) is a Jamaican cricketer who plays for the West Indies cricket team. In December 2018, he captained the West Indies for the first time in a One Day International (ODI) match. Domestically, he has played for Jamaica, the Combined Campuses and Colleges, and the Jamaica Tallawahs.
|Full name||Rovman Powell|
|Born||23 July 1993|
|Bowling||Right-arm fast medium|
|ODI debut (cap 177)||16 November 2016 v Sri Lanka|
|Last ODI||14 December 2018 v Bangladesh|
|ODI shirt no.||52|
|T20I debut (cap 66)||26 March 2017 v Pakistan|
|Last T20I||22 December 2018 v Bangladesh|
|Domestic team information|
|2017||Kolkata Knight Riders|
Source: ESPNcricinfo, 22 December 2018
Powell made his List A debut in January 2015, playing for the Combined Campuses against Guyana in the 2014–15 Regional Super50. He took 3/20 and scored 31 runs on debut, and was named man of the match. Powell made his first-class debut in the 2015–16 Regional Four Day Competition, playing for Jamaica against Guyana. For the 2015–16 Regional Super50, he returned to the Combined Campuses. In his team's final two matches, he scored twin half-centuries, 71 against the Windward Islands and 63 not out against Guyana. He played a key role in Jamaica's march to the final of the 2016-17 Regional Super50. In the semi-final against Trinidad and Tobago, he smashed 95 runs from 45 balls (including 9 sixes and 6 fours), before taking 5-36; these were both career-best List A performances, leading to him being named man-of-the-match. He was then selected by the Jamaica Tallawahs in the 6th round of the 2017 CPL player draft.
He made his One Day International (ODI) debut in the second match of the tri-series, against Sri Lanka. He made his Twenty20 International (T20I) debut for the West Indies against Pakistan on 26 March 2017.
In February 2018, the International Cricket Council (ICC) named Powell as one of the ten players to watch ahead of the 2018 Cricket World Cup Qualifier tournament. Following the conclusion of the Cricket World Cup Qualifier tournament, the ICC named Powell as the rising star of the West Indies' squad. When the West Indies toured Bangladesh in December 2018 he was named as captain of the ODI squad.
T20 franchise careerEdit
- "Tamim's return gives Bangladesh happy headache". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- List A matches played by Rovman Powell – CricketArchive. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Combined Campuses and Colleges v Guyana, Nagico Super50 2014/15 (Zone A) – CricketArchive. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- First-class matches played by Rovman Powell – CricketArchive. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Nagico Super50, Group B: Combined Campuses and Colleges v Windward Islands at Basseterre, Jan 15, 2016 – ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- Nagico Super50, Group B: Combined Campuses and Colleges v Guyana at Basseterre, Jan 17, 2016 – ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Jamaica smash 434 to surge into final". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "HERO CPL PLAYER DRAFT 2017 CPL T20". www.cplt20.com. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Kemar Roach gets all-format West Indies contract". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "Cricket West Indies announces list of contracted players". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "Zimbabwe Tri-Nation Series, 2nd Match: Sri Lanka v West Indies at Harare, Nov 16, 2016". ESPNcricinfo. ESPN Sports Media. 16 November 2016. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- "Pakistan tour of West Indies, 1st T20I: West Indies v Pakistan at Bridgetown, Mar 26, 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. ESPN Sports Media. 26 March 2017. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- "10 stars to look out for at CWCQ". International Cricket Council. 27 February 2018. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "CWCQ 2018 Report Card: West Indies". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "List of players sold and unsold at IPL auction 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Full players list of the teams following Players Draft of BPL T20 2018-19". Bangladesh Cricket Board. Retrieved 29 October 2018.