Rough Play (Korean: 배우는 배우다; RR: Baeuneun Baeuda; lit. "An Actor Is an Actor") is a 2013 South Korean film about an actor (played by Lee Joon) who becomes a superstar overnight then hits rock bottom. It is written and executive produced by Kim Ki-duk, and directed by Shin Yeon-shick. It screened at the 18th Busan International Film Festival, and was released in theaters on October 24, 2013.
|Revised Romanization||Baeuneun Baeuda|
|Directed by||Shin Yeon-shick|
|Produced by||Kim Ki-duk |
|Written by||Kim Ki-duk|
|Music by||Gu Bon-woong|
|Edited by||Kim Jung-hoon|
|Distributed by||Next Entertainment World|
Oh Young (Lee Joon) is an intense young actor, full of vigor for his chosen field. He currently performs regularly for a small theater company as well as playing minor roles in movies. A manager named Kim Jang-Ho (Seo Bum-Suk) then spots Oh Young on the filming set of a movie. He sees potential in Oh Young and offers to make him a top actor. After signing his contract, Oh Young's role in the movie is rewritten into a major supporting character. Once the movie is released, Oh Young receives praise for his performance and also becomes a burgeoning celebrity. As his popularity rises, Oh Young's life quickly spirals out of control.
- Lee Joon - Oh Young
- Seo Young-hee - Oh Yeon-hee
- Kang Shin-hyo - Woo Geun
- Kyung Sung-hwan - Department head Kim
- Min Ji-woo - Hong Ji-min
- Seo Beom-seok - Kim Jang-ho
- Lee Hwa-shi - Rich madam
- Sung Hong-il - Representative Kang
- Kim In-soo - Director of Rice Cake Hat
- Kim Jung-seok - Director of Moebius
- Lee Hyun-ho - Assistant director of Moebius
- Kim So-yeon - Moebius actress
- Lee Sae-byul - Schoolgirl
- Gi Ju-bong - Theater director
- Oh Kwang-rok - Jo Kang-ho
- Ma Dong-seok - "Tenacious" gang boss
- Yang Dong-geun - Kang Bin
- Kim Hyung-jun - Rookie
- Ahn Sung-ki - Jeonju festival VIP
- Lee Choon-yeon - Jeonju festival VIP
- Ryoo Seung-wan - Jeonju festival VIP
- Kim Kkot-bi - Jeonju festival VIP
- Lee Bit-na - Advertisement Girl
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2014||1st Wildflower Film Awards||Best Actor||Lee Joon||Nominated|||
|Best New Actor/Actress||Won|||
|50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|23rd Buil Film Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|Fantasporto||Best Film||Rough Play||Nominated|
|Orient Express Section Grand Prize||Nominated|
- "South Korea Yearly Box Office 2013". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- Tae, Sang-joon (26 September 2013). "SHIN Yeon-shick, Director of ROUGH PLAY". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- Lee, Hye-ji (22 January 2013). "Lee Joon's New Movie Cranks Up". TenAsia. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- Noh, Jean (23 January 2013). "Kim Ki-duk produces action thriller Rough Play". Screen International. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- Conran, Pierce (24 January 2013). "KIM Ki-duk Produced ROUGH PLAY Heading for Theaters". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "Director of Rough Play says "Lee Joon is a Godsend!"". KBS Global. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-13.
- Lee, Hye-ji (10 September 2013). "MBLAQ Lee Joon's New Film Invited to Busan Int'l Film Fest". TenAsia. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- Ho, Stewart (2 November 2012). "MBLAQ's Lee Joon in Discussion to Join Director Kim Ki Duk's Next Feature". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- Sunwoo, Carla (5 November 2012). "Idol singer snapped up by Kim Ki-duk". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 24 March 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- Choi, Shin-ae (17 October 2013). "Lee Joon Wants Stars in Need of a Reality Check to Watch His Movie". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "MBLAQ's Lee Joon Sheds Boy Band Image for Tough Guy Role". The Chosun Ilbo. 2 November 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Jeon, Su-mi (23 November 2012). "Kim Hyung Jun Cast for Kim Ki Duk Film Actors are Actors". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- "Wildflower Film Awards". Koreanfilm.org. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Kim, Hee-eun (4 April 2014). "Lee Joon wins first film award". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-04-04.