Parkgate, South Yorkshire(Redirected from Rotherham Parkgate)
Parkgate is a suburb of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. It has since been consumed by its neighbour, Rawmarsh and is in the ward of Rawmarsh from which it has been indistinguishable since the early 20th century.
Its name is said to originate from its location at the end point of the parkland of Wentworth Woodhouse. Although it marks the old entry gates of the parkland, the Wentworth estate stretched far past it, encompassing 90,000 acres of what was beautiful English countryside. The area gives its name to the Parkgate Seam, important in the South Yorkshire Coalfield.
Parkgate is near the location of the Park Gate Iron and Steel Company.
The A633 runs through Parkgate.
The area was served by Parkgate and Rawmarsh railway station, originally named Rawmarsh which was situated in Parkgate, adjacent to the Park Gate Iron and Steel Company's works. It was constructed by the North Midland Railway and opened in 1840. The station was closed on 1 January 1968.
The area was also served by Parkgate and Aldwarke railway station which was opened in July 1873 by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway company. The station was originally known as "Aldwarke". The station was closed to passengers on 29 October 1951.
The nearest rail station now is Rotherham Central.
In August 2008 plans were announced for an extension to Sheffield Supertram to Rotherham Central station. In In September 2009 it was decided that the extension would terminate at Parkgate Shopping Centre. The proposed route was to have been in operation by 2015 but is now planned to be opened in May 2018 after a series of delays. The motive power will be a fleet of seven Vossloh Citylink Class 399 tram-trains.
Parkgate pumping station is a Newcomen engine house, built circa 1823. The building is intact and houses an electric pump.
Parkgate and Rawmarsh railway station and the adjoining steel works, together with other locations in the Rotherham area, were featured in the 1958 film Tread Softly Stranger starring Diana Dors. Diana Dors's co-star George Baker is seen arriving at platform 1 of "Rawborough" station.
- "Index - parkgateshopping". parkgateshopping. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- Historic England. "PARKGATE AND RAWMARSH STATION (501279)". PastScape. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Penistone line is chosen for £24m tram trains trial". Rail News. 5 August 2008. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Tram-train scheme delayed by year". BBC News. 8 October 2015. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Further delays for tram-train pilot". BBC News. 18 May 2016. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Tram-train scheme costs spiral to £75m". BBC News. 4 July 2017. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- Rotherham tram-tram project funding confirmed Railway Gazette International 17 May 2012
- Historic England. "PARKGATE PUMPING STATION (1481504)". PastScape. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
|This South Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|