Ronald Blair (born January 21, 1993) is an American football defensive end for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Appalachian State University.
Blair with the 49ers in 2016
|No. 98 – San Francisco 49ers|
|Born:||January 23, 1993|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||270 lb (122 kg)|
|High school:||Greene County|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 5 / Pick: 142|
|Roster status:||Injured reserve|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2019|
Blair played college football at Appalachian State University from 2011-2015. In 2015, Blair was named Sun Belt Conference Defensive Student-Athlete of the Year, first-team all-conference honoree. In the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl, he forced a fumble and returned it 20 yards in the Mountaineers 31–29 victory over the Ohio Bobcats.
Coming out of Appalachian State, analysts had Blair projected to be drafted anywhere from the third to sixth round. He was ranked the thirteenth best defensive end out of the 171 available by NFLDraftScout.com. Blair was invited to the NFL Combine and performed all the drills. He injured his quad on his first 40-yard dash attempt. At Appalachian State's Pro Day, he was able to successfully improve on all his numbers, except the shuttle, but chose not to redo his bench press or 3-cone drill. He improved his 40-yard dash from 5.18 to 4.85, his 20-yard from 2.96 to 2.81, his 10-yard from 1.74 to 1.63, his vertical from 30 inches to 33.5 inches, and broad jump from 9'5" to 9'11".
|Height||Weight||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2 1⁄8 in
|10 1⁄4 in
|5.15 s||1.74 s||2.96 s||4.53 s||7.95 s||30 in
|9 ft 5 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Blair was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the fifth round, 142nd overall, in the 2016 NFL Draft. On November 27, 2016, Blair got his first career sack on Ryan Tannehill of the Miami Dolphins. He ended his rookie season playing in all 16 games, recording 16 tackles and three sacks.
- "UL Lafayette's McGuire Headlines All-Sun Belt Conference Teams and Individual Award Winners". www.sunbeltsports.org. Sun Belt Conference. December 10, 2014. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- "Ronald Blair, DS #13 DE, Appalachian State: 2016 NFL Draft". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- "NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles – Ronald Blair". nfl.com. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- "2016 Combine workout: Ronald Blair". nfl.com. Retrieved August 19, 2019.
- Price, Taylor (April 30, 2016). "San Francisco 49ers Draft Appalachian State DL Ronald Blair". 49ers.com. Retrieved July 3, 2017.
- "49es Claim DL Xavier Cooper off Waivers, Sign 8 Players to Practice Squad". 49ers.com. September 3, 2017.
- "49ers Announce Roster Moves". 49ers.com. November 4, 2017.
- "49ers Sign DL Damontre Moore; Place DL Ronald Blair III on Injured Reserve". 49ers.com. November 13, 2019.
|This biographical article relating to an American football player, coach, or other figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|