Roman Tmetuchl International Airport
Roman Tmetuchl International Airport (IATA: ROR, ICAO: PTRO, FAA LID: ROR), also known as Palau International Airport is the main airport of Palau. It is located near the former capital Koror, just north of Ngetkib, Airai on Babelthuap (Babeldaob) island. The airport is 4 miles (6 km) from Koror and 15 miles (25 km) from Ngerulmud.
Palau International Airport
|Owner||Republic of Palau|
|Location||Ngerusar, Airai, Babeldaob Island, Palau|
|Elevation AMSL||176 ft / 54 m|
The airport covers an area of 480 acres (190 ha) at an elevation of 176 feet (54 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 9/27 with an asphalt and concrete surface measuring 7,200 by 150 feet (2,194 x 45 m). For the 12-month period ending December 13, 2004, the airport had 1,142 aircraft operations, an average of 95 per month: 78% scheduled commercial, 10% air taxi, 8% general aviation and 4% military.
According to the Official Airline Guide (OAG), the only airline serving the airport in the fall of 1993 was Continental Micronesia (formerly Air Micronesia), a division of Continental Airlines, operating nonstop Boeing 727-200 jet service from Guam, Manila, Taipei and Yap, Caroline Islands.
A resolution adopted by the Senate of Palau in May 2006 renamed Palau International Airport as the Roman Tmetuchl International Airport, in honor of the late local politician and businessman Roman Tmetuchl. It is also known as Babelthuap/Koror Airport or Airai Airport.
Delta Air Lines provided scheduled service to Tokyo-Narita until 2018. Following Delta's withdrawal from the Palau market, Skymark Airlines announced that it would start charter service from Narita to Palau, and upgrade these flights to scheduled service in mid-2019.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
- FAA Airport Master Record for ROR – Babelthuap/Koror ( PDF), effective 2 Jul 2009.
- Airport information for PTRO from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for ROR at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Oct. 1, 1993, OAG Desktop Flight Guide, Worldwide Edition, Koror, Palau Island flight schedules
- Ngiraiwet, Florencia (2007-11-02), Senate Joint Resolution Status Table (PDF), Senate of Palau, archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-04-10, retrieved 2008-02-25
- "Skymark to offer Tokyo service to Saipan and Palau". Nikkei Asian Review. Retrieved 2018-07-26.
Media related to Roman Tmetuchl International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Republic of Palau: Division of Transportation
- Getting to Airai
- Palau International Airport photo
- Airport information for Babelthuap/Koror Airport (PTRO) at AirNav
- Current weather for Babelthuap Island, Babelthuap/Koror Airport, Palau (PTRO) at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for Koror-Airai Airport (ROR) at Aviation Safety Network
|This article about an Oceanian airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Palau location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|