Catholic Church in Ecuador
(Redirected from Roman Catholicism in Ecuador)
The Catholic Church in Ecuador comprises only a Latin hierarchy, united in a national episcopal conference, which comprises:
- four ecclesiastical provinces, each province is headed by the Metropolitanan archbishop of an archdiocese, and a total of 14 suffragan dioceses.
- are also eight pre-diocesan, missionary Apostolic Vicariates, headed by Titular bishops
- one Military Ordinariate in (and for the armed forces in all) Ecuador.
The Metropolitan Archbishopric of Quito is the Primatial see of Ecuador.
There is an Apostolic Nunciature as papal diplomatic representation (embassy level), in national capital Quito.
There are no Eastern Catholic jurisdictions and no titular sees. All defunct jurisdictions have current successor sees.
Current Latin seesEdit
The boundaries of the 24 administrative provinces of Ecuador mostly coincide with the boundaries of most territorial ecclesiastical jurisdictions.
These are directly dependent on the Holy See.
- Apostolic Vicariate of Aguarico
- Apostolic Vicariate of Esmeraldas
- Apostolic Vicariate of Galápagos
- Apostolic Vicariate of Méndez
- Apostolic Vicariate of Napo
- Apostolic Vicariate of Puyo
- Apostolic Vicariate of San Miguel de Sucumbíos
- Apostolic Vicariate of Zamora en Ecuador
Ecclesiastical province of QuitoEdit
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Quito, primate of Ecuador
Ecclesiastical province of CuencaEdit
Ecclesiastical province of GuayaquilEdit
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Guayaquil
Ecclesiastical province of PortoviejoEdit
Accoriding to recent statistics, Catholics make up 77% of the population of Ecuador.
- ^ "División Eclesiástica del Ecuador" (in Spanish). Catholic Church in Ecuador. 30 September 2010. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- ^ "Archbishop Fausto Gabriel Trávez Trávez" (in Spanish). Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Quito. Archived from the original on January 26, 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- ^ Latinobarometro, Opinion Publica Latinoamericana, Enero 2018.