The Diocese of Saltillo (Latin: Dioecesis Saltillensis) is a Latin Church ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Catholic Church in Mexico. The diocese was erected on 23 June 1891. It is a suffragan in the ecclesiastical province of the metropolitan Archdiocese of Monterrey.
Diocese of Saltillo
Diócesis de Saltillo
|Area||21,864 sq mi (56,630 km2)|
|(as of 2004)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||23 June 1891 (131 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St. James|
|Bishop||Hilario González García|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Rogelio Cabrera López|
|Bishops emeritus||José Raúl Vera López, O.P.|
The Franciscan Father Andres de Leon was one of the first missionaries in this territory in the sixteenth century. In 1827 the name of Saltillo was changed to Ciudad Leona Vicario, in honor of the Mexican heroine of that name, but the original name always prevailed. The Franciscan Fathers of the Province of Jalisco had eight missions in Coahuila, which, in 1777, formed part of the See of Linares, or Monterey, and belonged to it until 1891, when Pope Leo XIII erected the See of Saltillo with jurisdiction over the entire State of Coahuila.
According to the Catholic News Agency (CNA), Bishop Raul Vera Lopez of Saltillo, Mexico will meet with Cardinal Marc Ouellet, the Cardinal Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops in the Vatican's Roman Curia, "to discuss Bishop Vera's support for the San Elredo Community, an organization that embraces homosexuality." The San Elredo Community has become a separate organization apart from the Diocese of Saltillo.
- Santiago de los Santos Garza Zambrano (1893–1898), appointed Bishop of León, Guanajuato
- José María de Jesús Portugal y Serratos, O.F.M. (1898–1902), appointed Bishop of Aguascalientes
- Jesús María Echavarría y Aguirre (1904–1954)
- Luis Guízar y Barragán (1954–1975)
- Francisco Raúl Villalobos Padilla (1975–1999)
- José Raúl Vera López, O.P. (1999–2020) - Bishop Emeritus
- Hilario González García (2020–present)
- Luis Guízar y Barragán (1938–1954)
- Manuel Samaniego Barriga (1969–1971), appointed Bishop of Ciudad Altamirano, Guerrero
- Francisco Raúl Villalobos Padilla (1971–1975), appointed Bishop here
|19 June 1957||to form the Diocese of Torreón|
|8 January 2003||to form the Diocese of Piedras Negras|
External links and referencesEdit
- "Diocese of Saltillo". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2007-02-07.
- ^ Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Saltillo
- ^ Vatican to examine Mexican bishop's gay ministry
- ^ Ramos, Leopoldo (January 30, 2021). "La Jornada - Raúl Vera se despide de la diócesis de Saltillo". jornada.com.mx (in Spanish). La Jornada. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "Diocese of Saltillo". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.