Roland Maywald (born 1948) is a former German badminton player who won numerous (West) German national and other European titles from the late 1960s to the mid-1980s. Though he won the German national singles title in 1974, Maywald was primarily a doubles specialist. He was particularly successful internationally in men's doubles with Willi Braun, whose fast forecourt racket complemented Maywald's steady all-court play. Braun and Maywald won the biennial European Championships consecutively in 1972 and 1974. They were thrice semifinalists at the prestigious All-England Championships (1971,1975 and 1976) and won the U.S. Open men's doubles in 1976. Maywald also shared a number of mixed doubles titles in Europe with various partners. In 1975 he reached the final of mixed doubles at the All-England's with Brigitte Steden.
- Pat Davis, The Guinness Book of Badminton (Enfield, Middlesex, England: Guinness Superlatives Ltd., 1983) 115.
- "the all-England", Badminton USA, May 1971, 14.
- "Svend Pri wins the all-England title", World Badminton, May 1975, 2,3.
- "the all-England", Badminton USA, May 1976, 13.
- "open championships", Badminton USA, May 1976, 6.
|This biographical article relating to German badminton is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|