Rokas Žilinskas (20 July 1972 – 6 June 2017) was a Lithuanian journalist and politician. He was elected to the Seimas in 2008 and was a member of the Lithuanian Parliament until his death. He was the first openly gay member of the parliament.
|Member of the Seimas|
17 November 2008 – 6 June 2017
20 July 1972|
Vilnius, Lithuanian SSR, Soviet Union
|Died||6 June 2017
|Political party||National Resurrection Party (2008–2011)
Christian Party (2011)
Homeland Union (2011–2017)
|Alma mater||University of Vilnius|
Žilinskas was born in a swimming coach and kindergarten teacher's family. While at school Rokas became interested in geography, later politology and politics. He studied journalism at the University of Vilnius. Before being elected to the Lithuanian Parliament Žilinskas was a well-known Lithuanian news announcer having worked at LNK television from 1998 to 2008.
In 2009, one year after the Parliament elections, Žilinskas openly declared that he was gay, hence becoming the first elected LGBT politician in Lithuania. He, however, expressed disapproval for the equal rights for gays, such as gay marriages and gay adoption, but unexpectedly decided to participate in the first homosexual parade in Vilnius, despite being opposed to it for a long time.
Žilinskas damaged his public image after he cursed at policemen when he was under the influence of alcohol. In 2011, Žilinskas was expelled from the Christian Party, after he was noticed allegedly being drunk in Seimas.
In popular cultureEdit
- "Mirė Seimo narys R. Žilinskas". Delfi. 2017-06-06. Retrieved 2017-06-06.
- "Lithuania's late MP Zilinskas was special figure in politics". The Baltic Times. 2017-06-07.
- "15min naujienos – Suprasti akimirksniu". 15min.lt. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- Gabrilavičiūtė, Laura. "R.Žilinskas: mes nebekalbame apie gėjų paradą, mes kalbame apie žmogaus teises (atnaujinta 18.08 val.)". 15min.lt. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Lithuanian openly gay parliamentarian disapproves of Baltic Pride". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- Alfa.lt. "Žilinskas neatmeta galimybės dar kartą kreiptis į Lietuvos Aukščiausiąjį Teismą". alfa.lt. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- ekspresas, Dienraštis Vakaru. "Seime galimai neblaivus pasirodęs Rokas Žilinskas pašalintas iš partijos - ve.lt". Dienraštis Vakaru ekspresas. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Konservatoriai priėmė R.Žilinską, socdemai už homoseksualus kovoja žodžiais". delfi.lt. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "MP Žilinskas passes away". The Lithuania Tribune. 2017-06-07.
|This article about a Lithuanian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|