This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
After graduating from Cambridge in 1960 with a First Class Honors degree in Modern and Medieval Languages, Huddleston earned his PhD from the University of Edinburgh in 1963 under the supervision of Michael Halliday. He held lectureships at the University of Edinburgh, University College London, and the University of Reading. He moved to The University of Queensland in 1969, where he remained for the rest of his career. He was the recipient of the first round of 'Excellence in Teaching' awards at the University of Queensland in 1988. In 1990 he was awarded a Personal Chair. He is currently an Emeritus Professor at the University of Queensland, where he taught until 1997. In 1999, a festschrift volume was produced "by colleagues past and present, friends and admirers of Rodney Huddleston, in order to honour his consistently outstanding contribution to grammatical theory and description": The Clause in English: In Honour of Rodney Huddleston.
- Collins, Peter; Lee, David, eds. (1999). "Curriculum Vitae of Rodney Desmond Huddleston". The Clause in English: In Honour of Rodney Huddleston. Studies in Language Companion Series. 45. Amsterdam, Netherlands: John Benjamins Publishing. p. xvii. ISBN 978-90-272-3048-5. ISSN 0165-7763. LCCN 98-39788. OCLC 39695769.
- "The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language: About the Author". Google Books. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Collins, Peter and David A. Lee (1999). The Clause in English: In Honour of Rodney Huddleston. John Benjamins Publishing.
- "A Student's Introduction to English Grammar". www.lel.ed.ac.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-18.
- Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series v. 141. 2006. pp. 219–221.
- Huddleston, Rodney D. (1971). The Sentence in Written English: A Syntactic Study Based on an Analysis of Scientific Texts, Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-08062-2.
- Huddleston, Rodney D. (1976). An Introduction to English Transformational Syntax, Longman. ISBN 0-582-55062-9.
- Huddleston, Rodney D. (1984). Introduction to the Grammar of English, Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-22893-X.
- Huddleston, Rodney D. (1988). English Grammar: An Outline, Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-32311-8.
- Huddleston, Rodney D., and Geoffrey K. Pullum (2002). The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-43146-8.