Roderick Hopkins "Rod" Davis (born August 27, 1955 in the United States) is a former competitive sailor who won Olympic medals for two countries. At the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, representing the United States, he won the gold medal in the Soling class along with Robert Haines and Edward Trevelyan. After moving to New Zealand he was chosen to represent that country at the next three Olympic Games. Along with Don Cowie he won a silver medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain in the Star class.
|Full name||Roderick Hopkins Davis|
|Born||August 27, 1955 (age 66)|
He joined New Zealand Challenge for the 1988 America's Cup and was their helmsman at the 1992 America's Cup. He was the backup helmsman for oneAustralia at the 1995 Louis Vuitton Cup and acted as the sailing coach of Prada Challenge at the 2000 Louis Vuitton Cup. He remained with Prada Challenge for the 2003 Louis Vuitton Cup, and sailed in the afterguard. He joined Team New Zealand as a coach for the 2007 Louis Vuitton Cup, and remained in this position for the 2013 Louis Vuitton Cup. In 2014 he joined Artemis Racing. He re-joined Team New Zealand in 2016 and was part of their successful 2017 America's Cup campaign.
- In his biography at the NZOC website his place of birth is listed as Key West, Florida in the infobox but San Diego, California in the text.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill; et al. "Rod Davis". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on April 18, 2020. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- "America's Cup - Rod Davis returns to sharpen Kiwi Match-racing skills". Sail-world.com. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- "Yachting". February 1, 1987. Retrieved July 12, 2017 – via Google Books.
- ROBERTS, RICH (December 6, 1991). "Kiwis Pick American as Skipper". Retrieved July 27, 2017 – via LA Times.
- "Yacht Splinters and Sinks in America's Cup Race". The New York Times. March 6, 1995. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- "Grant Dalton introduces the team – Scoop News". Scoop.co.nz. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- [dead link]
- "Artemis Racing snare Team NZ coach Rod Davis". Tvnz.co.nz. Retrieved July 27, 2017.