This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Coláiste Charraig an Tobair
day and boarding school
|Motto||Inter Mutanda Constantia|
("Constancy in the midst of change")
|President||Fr. Jack Meade, C.S.Sp.|
|Principal||Ms. Audrey O’Byrne|
|Years offered||1st - 7th|
|Gender||Male and Female|
|Age||12 to 19|
|Number of students||500|
|Colour(s)||Blue and White|
|Religious compiliation||Roman Catholicism (Spiritans)|
The school has a rugby tradition and has won the Munster Schools Senior Cup 26 times and the Munster Schools Junior Cup 19 times. Rockwell is run by the Spiritans. Its list of former pupils and teachers includes two Presidents of Ireland.
Notable past pupilsEdit
- Éamon de Valera, Taoiseach and President of Ireland, was a mathematics teacher at the school.
- Michael Ahern, former Junior Minister for Industry and Commerce and currently TD for Cork East
- Dr Henry Barniville, Senator and Professor of Anatomy in University College Dublin
- Andrew Boylan, former Fine Gael TD for Cavan–Monaghan
- Ruairí Brugha, Fianna Fáil TD, Senator and MEP
- Dr Patrick Hillery, President of Ireland 1976-1990
- Dr Maurice Manning, Chancellor of National University of Ireland, former Fine Gael Senator and President of the Irish Human Rights Commission
- Enda Marren, Fine Gael trustee and Member of Irish Council of State
- Seán McCarthy, former Minister of State for Finance and Technology
- William Quirke, former Fianna Fáil Senator and Tipperary IRA leader during the Irish War of Independence and the Irish Civil War.
- Thomas Walsh, former Fianna Fáil TD for Carlow–Kilkenny
- Fionán Lynch, former Circuit Court Judge and Deputy Leader of Fine Gael
- Mr Justice John L. Murray, former Chief Justice of Ireland, former judge of the Irish Supreme Court, former judge of the European Court of Justice, former Attorney General of Ireland, and current Chancellor of the University of Limerick.
- Sean Whelan, BL and former Irish Ambassador to Turkey
- Richie Boucher, CEO of the Bank of Ireland
- Brody Sweeney, CEO of O'Briens Irish Sandwich Bars and Fine Gael candidate in 2007 election
- Patrick Butler, rugby player
- Jack Clarke, footballer
- Michael Dargan, cricketer and rugby player
- Willie Duggan, rugby international
- Denis Fogarty, rugby player
- John Fogarty, rugby international
- Gary Halpin, rugby international
- Denis Leamy, rugby international
- Pat McGrath, hurler
- Paul McNaughton, manager of the Irish rugby team
- Mark Melbourne, rugby player
- Walter Swinburn, jockey, who won 8 British Classics, including the 1981 Derby with Shergar
- Diarmuid Barron,rugby player
- Cardinal Michael Browne, O.P.
- Monsignor Pádraig de Brún, former President of National University of Ireland, Galway
- Fr Denis Fahey
- Bishop Henry Aloysius Gogarty C.S.Sp.
- Fr Aengus Finucane, former Chief Executive of Concern Worldwide, was a teacher
- Fr. Jack Finucane
- Archbishop John Joseph McCarthy C.S.Sp.
- Professor John J. Collins, Biblical scholar
- John M. Feehan, author and publisher
- Thomas MacDonagh - poet, teacher and co-leader of 1916 Rising, for which he was executed.
- Lieut. General Colm Mangan - former Chief of Staff of the Irish Defence Forces,
- Pádraic Ó Conaire, writer
- Liam O'Flaherty, writer
- Kevin Roche, architect
- Gabriel Rosenstock, writer
- "Female principal for Rockwell College". Irish Times. February 3, 2012. Retrieved 11 September 2012.