Rockstar Games Social Club
Rockstar Games Social Club (Social Club) is a digital rights management, multiplayer and communications service provided by Rockstar Games for use with their latest generation of games. Rockstar Games Social Club was first announced on March 27, 2008, with pre-registration beginning on April 14, 2008. However, that date was moved to April 17, 2008. The name is a reference to organized crime, which commonly uses the term "social club" to describe a meeting place or hideout. The service received a major update in 2012, prior to the release of Max Payne 3, with the addition of social networking features and a "crews" system that allows players to form groups and combine their achievements to unlock bonus features.
|Initial release||April 17, 2008|
|Platform||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS, iOS , Android|
|Available in||English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish and Korean|
|Type||Digital rights management, social network service|
Games using RGSCEdit
|Grand Theft Auto IV[N 1]||April 29, 2008|
|Midnight Club: Los Angeles[N 1]||October 21, 2008|
|Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned[N 1]||February 17, 2009|
|Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars[N 1][N 2]||March 17, 2009|
|Beaterator[N 1]||September 29, 2009|
|Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony[N 1]||October 29, 2009|
|Red Dead Redemption[N 1]||May 18, 2010|
|L.A. Noire||May 17, 2011|
|Max Payne Mobile||April 12, 2012|
|Max Payne 3||May 15, 2012|
|Grand Theft Auto V||September 17, 2013|
|Bully: Anniversary Edition||December 8, 2016|
|Red Dead Redemption 2||October 26, 2018|
Rockstar Games Social Club provides certain different features based on the type of game. The following is a list of features, as written on the website.
Grand Theft Auto IVEdit
- LCPD Police Blotter - The Police Blotter collects data from all online users of GTA IV, and shows how much crime is committed in each area of the city. It also shows the most dangerous areas of Liberty City, what the most popular weapons are and further details about the city's crime rate.
- The Story Gang - The Story Gang is a leader board showing a list of users who have completed the story mode of the game. There are two parts to this: The first part shows the first 10 players to complete the story mode of the game; and the other one shows the quickest times that the story mode has been completed in. Members of the gang receive special online bonuses marking their achievements in the game.
- The 100% Club - The 100% Club is similar to the story gang, but this time marks the achievements of gamers that have completed the game 100%. There are two leaderboards, one showing the first ten people to complete the game, and the other showing who has completed the game quickest. Eligible players who completed the game with 100% between 12:00 am April 29, 2008 and 11:59 pm 19 May EST were sent a 'key to the city' to mark their achievement.
- The Hall of Fame - The Hall of Fame marks various records and statistical achievements completed by users within the game. It also contains a personal awards display of a gamers personal in-game achievements.
- The Liberty City Marathon - The Liberty City Marathon is a ranking of special physical milestones within the game. There are also competitions based on marathons for this area of the Social Club.
- ZiT Music Service - Players are able to tag songs heard on in-game radio stations by calling "ZIT-555-0100" with their in-game mobile phone. If the player's gamername is linked to their Social Club account, they will be able to then access a list of songs they have tagged via the Social Club website. Songs can then be purchased via iTunes.
- Multiplayer Leaderboards - On May 28, 2008, Rockstar launched the multiplayer section of Social Club. The section currently consists of a player's rank, their ranking compared to other players, their score, and the number of games a player has won and lost.
- The Millionaires Club - Millionaire status is determined by totaling all of the money you've ever earned in single–player–mode from completing missions, winning races, doing vigilante side–jobs, and fortuitously picking up 'dropped' money in the street. Millionaires Club launched on July 29, 2008.
- Viral Infection - With the Viral Infection feature at the Rockstar Social Club, members can now see whether their in-game multiplayer character is currently infected, the number of total global infections and the number of infections in the last 24 hours. Digging deeper, Social Club members can also browse a color-coded world map tracking the spread of the infection worldwide, including breakdown for all 50 U.S. States. Infected players can set a zombie skin for themselves at the multiplayer section. This part was announced on July 29, 2008 and set off on October 24, 2008.
- Social Club TV - The PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV features a video editor where players can take, edit and upload footage of their gameplay to the Social Club TV site. Once a video has been uploaded to the site, other Social Club members can then rate, favorite and comment on the video. Currently, Social Club TV is exclusive to the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV and the upcoming PC version for Grand Theft Auto V. It is not yet known if other Rockstar games will use this feature.
Midnight Club: Los AngelesEdit
- Los Angeles Driving Test - Tracks certain stats of the player via their console gamer-name such as wheelie distance and consecutive wins and includes in-game rewards such as an Audi R8, Hydraulic/AirBags and TIS Modular Rims.
- Gallery - Displays pictures that the player has taken in-game.
- Hollywood Auto Garage - Lists all in-game vehicles based upon the most popular, the most wins, and the most driven.
- Multiplayer - Players are able to compare their stats and times with other players in every event.
- Player Profile - Displays various stats and features a customizable user title screen.
- Rate My Ride - Similar to the in-game aspect, players can see how their vehicle as been rated and have the ability to rate others online via pictures uploaded.
- Tournaments - This feature allows for players to sign up for time trial tournaments. Once signed up, the player can pull up the tournament menu from the game and participate. So far, Rockstar has given prizes to people with the best time.
- LAFM - Allows players to listen to and buy songs they have favorited in the game.
Rockstar has confirmed that there is one more Social Club feature in the works for the game.
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown WarsEdit
- Player Stats - Allows people to view their game stats. The feature also allows for players to view their friend's stats.
- Mr Wong's Laundromat - An online web-browser minigame were players can earn money for use in Chinatown Wars by laundering money.
- Guardian Lions - As soon as players finish the main story line, two lion statues appear in different areas of the map. Once the player finds the statues, they can sync their game to Social Club and unlock two extra missions for "Xin".
- Rampage Tracker - This feature allows players to see where all the rampages are located and their stats for each rampage.
- Downloads - Features wallpapers, ringtones and papercraft models of stuff from the game.
- Fully Cocked - People who pre-ordered the game from either GameStop or Amazon received a code to unlock an extra bonus for use in the game. This feature allows for players to redeem their codes.
- Community - Allows users to find tracks created by the community. Once a user finds a track they like, they can mark it as a favorite, rate it and download it.
- Studio - Allows users to listen their songs, view their favorites, see who's following them, follow other users, check their download queue and set their songs to public.
Red Dead RedemptionEdit
- The Blackwater Ledger – A dynamic community edition of the in-game newspaper keeps Social Club members updated on all the news that's fit to print. Reporting daily from New Austin, Nuevo Pariaso, and West Elizabeth, the Ledger records who's earned the highest bounties, what the most popular products purchased at local merchants are, how many people have cheated in poker that day, and much, much more.
- Stats – Keep meticulous records of your in-game progress and earn those bragging rights. My Stats allows you keep track of a variety of information, from how well you performed in single-player missions to extensive multiplayer performance statistics. The features also allows you to compare stats with your Social Club friends.
- Multiplayer – Keep detailed track of your online multiplayer career. Browse the global multiplayer leaderboards and improve your game by studying your tailored stats breakdown.
- Trophies – Keep track of each Trophy earned and compare with Social Club friends.
- 100% – Exclusively at Rockstar Social Club, completionists on a quest for 100% in Red Dead Redemption can use a detailed guide to see exactly what they've unlocked – and what's remaining, along with info, tips and a map legend to help you on your way.
- Accomplishments - The Social Club will help you track your progress, and show you which Achievements & Trophies you and your Friends have completed and when - along with exclusive game tips you can access for those tough ones.
- Ask The Community - When questioning any persons of interest, you will be challenged to determine the validity of their statements. Players connected online that wish to get an inside tip can earn and spend special limited-use Intuition Points to take advantage of the Social Club "Ask the Community" feature. "Ask the Community" is a special lifeline-type feature which permits you to see what decisions other players made when facing the same crossroads as a detective via a display of percentages of what other Social Club members chose in that situation. Intuition Points are in short supply, so remember to spend them wisely when using game tips like this.
- Case Tracker - You will be able to access your detective notebook at any time on the web via the Social Club to review clues, findings, notes from suspect interrogations and much more. Virtually everything that gets recorded into your notebook in-game will be reflected when you log into the L.A. Noire section of the Social Club website - so you can always be on the case and connected with your investigation when away from your console at work, school or anywhere online at any time.
- Checklist - The fan-favorite 100% Checklist feature that Social Club members loved for Red Dead Redemption is back with L.A. Noire and enhanced for the occasion - with the ability to track every last morsel of action that it will take to reach the coveted 100% completion mark. From cases closed, to street crimes beaten, to landmarks and film reels found and everything else that it takes - the Checklist will track your current progress as well as allow you to compare how you're doing versus your Social Club Friends down to every item. Our dynamic Los Angeles map will also help you find some items that you may need a tip on tracking down.
- Statistics - All the detailed game stats that Social Club members have come to expect, made richer and more robust than ever. L.A. Noire game stats at the Social Club will include properly visualized data with official police department charts and graphs analyzing your personal efficiency, accuracy, speed and many other key detective abilities. Each and every stat can also be directly compared against Social Club Friends for bragging rights.
Max Payne 3Edit
- Checklist - Explore everything Max Payne 3 single player has to offer by tracking your Story completion, Arcade mode replays and collectible items.
- Match Reports - View details of recently played matches and compare the players' performances.
Grand Theft Auto VEdit
- BAWSAQ - Watch stock prices fluctuate in real-time as buyers and sellers react to in-game activity.
- Criminal Record - Criminal Record gives each character's Criminal Record.
- Mini Games - Gauge your performance against the entire Community on dedicated Minigame leaderboards.
- Snapmatic - Take in the latest and greatest shots snapped by fellow Social Club members in GTA V and GTA Online.*
- Barber Shop - Giving the option for characters, Franklin Clinton, Michael De Santa, and Trevor Philips new free hairstyles and free beards.
- Stat Checking - Users can check their stats for Grand Theft Auto: Online & compare them against friends.
- Custom Jobs - For Grand Theft Auto Online, players can create and publish their own user created deathmatches and races, for other Social Club members to download and play.
- Crews - Users can create crews for their friends or community and get certain crew bonuses, such as 10% extra GTA$ and RP in missions.
Bully: Anniversary EditionEdit
- Trophies – Keep track of each Trophy earned and compare with Social Club friends.
- Since the GameSpy server shutdown in July 2014, some or all features are effectively removed/unavailable.
- Not available on mobile devices.
- "Rockstar Annonunces [sic] Social Club". RockstarWatch. RockstarWatch. August 1, 2008. Retrieved March 27, 2008.
- "Rockstar Social Club: Pre-Registration Delayed". RockstarWatch. RockstarWatch. August 1, 2008. Retrieved April 14, 2008.
- "Rockstar Social Club Registration Opens Today". RockstarWatch. RockstarWatch. April 17, 2008. Retrieved April 17, 2008.
- "Rockstar Games' Social Club Just Got a Lot More Social". Kotaku.com. May 8, 2012. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- "Introducing the All-New Rockstar Games Social Club". Rockstar Games. May 7, 2012. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- "Rockstar Games Social Club - Games". Rockstar Games. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Effect of GameSpy Closure on Past Rockstar Titles". Rockstar Games Support. December 16, 2014. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "Review: Beaterator". Edge Online. Retrieved October 18, 2012.