Rock You Like a Hurricane
"Rock You Like a Hurricane" is a song by German rock band Scorpions, considered as their signature song. The song was released as the lead single from their ninth studio album, Love at First Sting (1984). It was written by Klaus Meine, Herman Rarebell, Rudolf Schenker and arranged/produced by Dieter Dierks. The lyrics of "Rock You Like a Hurricane" also reference the title of the album on which it originally appeared – Love at First Sting.
|"Rock You Like a Hurricane"|
|Single by Scorpions|
|from the album Love at First Sting|
|Released||7 February 1984|
|Scorpions singles chronology|
In 2006, VH1 named "Rock You Like a Hurricane" number 31 on their 40 Greatest Metal Songs and in 2009 it was named the 18th greatest hard rock song of all time also by VH1. On 15 November 2010 it was named the number 4 best riff of the '80s. The racetrack depicted on the single's sleeve corresponds to the Circuito Permanente de Jerez, located in Spain.
A new version was recorded in 2000 as "Hurricane 2000" on the album Moment of Glory, featuring Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra backing the track. In the same way, it was titled "Hurricane 2001" when played on the follow-up Acoustica. A third re-recording by the band features on their album Comeblack, released in 2011. The 2011 Comeblack re-recording was featured in 2014 in a commercial for Fiber One cookies and the 2015 horror comedy film Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse. A version recorded in Spanish by Steph Honde and Micki Milosevic under the name of Unprotected Innocence was featured in and on the score for the 2019 Hellboy film. Rachel Bloom recorded a version of the song for Trolls World Tour as her character Barb. The song was also on the Trolls World Tour (soundtrack)
- Klaus Meine – lead vocals
- Rudolf Schenker – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Matthias Jabs – lead guitar, rhythm guitar
- Francis Buchholz – bass
- Herman Rarebell – drums
- Dieter Dierks – producer, mixing
- Gerd Rautenbach – engineer, mastering
|Canadian RPM Top 100||37|
|France Top 50||17|
|UK Singles Chart||78|
|US Billboard Hot 100||25|
|US Billboard Top Rock Tracks||5|
- 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' / 'Coming Home' (Media notes). Scorpions. EMI Electrola / Harvest. 1C 006 2000347.
Made in EEC.CS1 maint: others (link) The release contains the acronyms "GEMA" and "STEMRA".
- 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' / 'Coming Home' (Media notes). Scorpions. EMI Records. HAR 5225.
Manufactured in the UK by EMI Records Limited.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Hit Parader Salutes 20 Years of Metal - Various Artists". AllMusic.
- "Top 100 Classic Rock Artists". Ultimate Classic Rock. June 8, 2016. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- December 2015, Sleazegrinder 04. "The 20 Best Hair Metal Anthems Of All Time Ever". loudersound. Retrieved December 9, 2020.
- "VH1 40 Greatest Metal Songs". RateYourMusic. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- "Vh1 Top 100 Hard Rock Songs". Archived from the original on May 14, 2016. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- "Start Me Up: The Top 10 Riffs of the 1980s". Gibson.com. Archived from the original on August 14, 2011. Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- "Love at First Sting". Scorpions official website. Archived from the original on December 8, 2012. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Archived from the original on July 10, 2015.