Rock Bottom (Hailee Steinfeld song)
"Rock Bottom" is a song by American actress and singer Hailee Steinfeld featuring American funk pop band DNCE. It was released on February 26, 2016, through Republic Records and Universal Music Group, as the second single from her debut extended play (EP), Haiz (2015). The song was written by Mattias Larsson, Robin Fredriksson, Julia Michaels, and Justin Tranter, with production being handled by Larsson and Fredriksson under their stage name Mattman & Robin.
|Single by Hailee Steinfeld featuring DNCE|
|from the album Haiz|
|Released||February 26, 2016|
|Producer(s)||Mattman & Robin|
|Hailee Steinfeld singles chronology|
|DNCE singles chronology|
In an interview with People's Jeff Nelson, Steinfeld said "[Rock Bottom] epitomizes me in every damn relationship. I've experienced that relationship in its entirety. I do feel like there are some songs that really represent a relationship for a relationship, and then when you hear it, you think about that specific relationship, and I have that when I hear 'Rock Bottom'."
Access Hollywood deemed the song "a stylistic, upbeat jam full of swagger and soul." Jeff Nelson of People said "a poppy, effervescent jam, 'Rock Bottom' chronicles the highs and lows of young love that keep a couple 'coming back for more'." Mike Wass of Idolator called "Rock Bottom" "the best song on the EP."
In the weeks prior to Haiz's release, "Hell Nos and Headphones" was being touted as the EP's second single, but "You're Such A" was chosen instead, and was set to impact Top 40 radio on February 9, 2016. However, the release of "You're Such A" was scrapped in favor of the new version of "Rock Bottom" featuring DNCE.
The music video for the song, directed by Malia James, was released on March 25, 2016.Rolling Stone's Brittany Spanos described the music video: "In the clip, Steinfeld struggles with a tumultuous relationship. The singer and her boyfriend, played by model John Economou, shift dramatically between fighting and joking around, which culminates at a show Steinfeld and her acting boyfriend watch DNCE perform their hit song Cake By The Ocean, but Joe Jonas, the lead singer of DNCE lip syncs the Rock Bottom lyrics of his verse with JinJoo Lee faking on guitar, Cole Whittle faking on bass, and Jack Lawless faking on drums to represent the band, then the lead singer Joe Jonas takes Hailee’s hand and pulls her on stage for a special guest to perform with the band when in Rock Bottom, Hailee and Joe sing together for the rest of the song. Economou walks out during the performance, and a distraught Steinfeld leaves Joe and DNCE to find him, where they fake kiss and make up."
Credits and personnelEdit
- Hailee Steinfeld - vocals/songwriter
- Joe Jonas - vocals/songwriter
- Mattias Larsson – songwriter
- Robin Fredriksson – songwriter
- Julia Michaels – songwriter
- Justin Tranter – songwriter
- Mattman & Robin – producer
- JinJoo Lee - guitar
- Cole Whittle - bass
- Jack Lawless - drums
- John Hanes – assistant recording engineer
- John Cranfield – assistant recording engineer
- Serban Ghenea – mixer
- Randy Merrill – mastering engineer
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||61|
|Canada Hot AC (Billboard)||47|
|Czech Republic (Singles Digitál Top 100)||46|
|New Zealand Heatseeker Singles (Recorded Music NZ)||3|
|Slovakia (Singles Digitál Top 100)||50|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||3|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||33|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||40,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Gold||7,500*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|United States||February 26, 2016||Digital download|||
|March 1, 2016||Top 40 radio||Republic|||
- "Top 40/M Future Releases - Mainstream Hit Songs Being Released and Their Release Dates". AllAccess Music Group. Archived from the original on March 1, 2016. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Haiz - Hailee Steinfeld - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- Nelson, Jeff (March 25, 2016). "Hailee Steinfeld, DNCE Premiere 'Rock Bottom' Music Video - People.com". People. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Hailee Steinfeld Drops Debut EP 'HAIZ' - Access Hollywood". Access Hollywood. November 13, 2015. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- Wass, Mike (February 12, 2016). "Hailee Steinfeld Teams Up With DNCE For New Version Of 'Rock Bottom' - Idolator". Idolator. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Top 40/M Future Releases - Mainstream Hit Songs Being Released and Their Release Dates". AllAccess Music Group. Archived from the original on February 1, 2016. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Hailee Steinfeld - Rock Bottom ft. DNCE - YouTube". YouTube. March 25, 2016. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- Spanos, Brittany (March 25, 2016). "Watch Hailee Steinfeld, DNCE Hit 'Rock Bottom' in New Video - Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Australian-charts.com – Hailee Steinfeld feat. DNCE – Rock Bottom". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Hailee Steinfeld Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Hailee Steinfeld Chart History (Canada Hot AC)". Billboard. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Digital Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Change the chart to CZ – SINGLES DIGITAL – TOP 100 and insert 201615 into search. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "NZ Heatseekers Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Singles Digital Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Select SINGLES DIGITAL - TOP 100 and insert 201616 into search. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Hailee Steinfeld Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Hailee Steinfeld Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Canadian single certifications – Hailee Steinfeld – Rock Bottom". Music Canada. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- "New Zealand single certifications – Hailee Steinfeld feat. DNCE – Rock Bottom". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Haiz - EP by Hailee Steinfeld on Apple Music". iTunes Store (US). February 26, 2016. Retrieved September 9, 2016.