Rock 'n' Roll Loony Party
The Rock 'n' Roll Loony Party was a minor political party in the United Kingdom.
|Leader||Chris "Screwy" Driver|
|Split from||Official Monster Raving Loony Party|
Founded in 2000, the group split from the Official Monster Raving Loony Party after the death of Screaming Lord Sutch. Stephen Ingle claims that it was formed by Librarians. It was initially based in Cannock, at the Laughing Leopards pub, which was run by its joint deputy leader, while its leader was Chris "Screwy" Driver.
Driver was elected to Queenborough Town Council, on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent, in 2000 as a Monster Raving Loony candidate, and then in his new party colours was voted in as Mayor of Queenborough in 2002. In elections to Swale Borough Council in 2003, one of the Rock 'n' Roll Loony Party candidates polled more than a member of the Liberal Democrats.
The party's main policies included free beer and sex for pensioners, and the construction of laughter clinics.
- "Sutch high hopes in craziest town", Birmingham Post, 1 April 2000
- Stephen Ingle, The British Party System: An Introduction
- "Loony elected as town's new Mayor". Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Matthew Stadlen and Harry Glass, The Politics Companion, p.100
- "List of Political Parties either renamed or deregistered since 2002" (PDF). Electoral Commission. 16 December 2009. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- "Family brewers launch rival election manifesto", The Publican, 24 May 2001
|This article about a political party in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|