Robinson David Chirinos González (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈroβinson tʃiˈɾinos]; born June 5, 1984) is a Venezuelan professional baseball catcher for the Houston Astros of Major League Baseball (MLB). He signed with the Chicago Cubs as a nondrafted free agent out of Venezuela in 2000. He made his MLB debut in 2011. He has previously played in MLB for the Tampa Bay Rays and Texas Rangers.
Chirinos with the Texas Rangers in 2017
|Houston Astros – No. 28|
|Born: June 5, 1984|
Punto Fijo, Venezuela
|July 18, 2011, for the Tampa Bay Rays|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Runs batted in||262|
Tampa Bay RaysEdit
Chirinos was promoted to the majors for the first time on July 18, 2011, by the Rays. He doubled in his first major-league at bat against A. J. Burnett of the New York Yankees. Chirinos hit his first MLB home run on August 3 against the Toronto Blue Jays. He also recorded his first RBI earlier in this game.
Chirinos had an opportunity to make the big league club in 2012 out of spring training, but he suffered a concussion which prevented him from playing any baseball during the 2012 season.
Chirinos got his chance to start for the Rangers in 2014, playing in a career-high 93 games. He had many more career-highs in 2014 as well, with 13 home runs, 40 RBIs, and batting .239/.290/.415. He made six errors, third-most for a catcher in the AL.
Chirinos started for the Rangers again in 2015. He batted .232/.325/.438. He came back for the ALDS against the Toronto and hit 3-for-11 (.273) and one home run in 3 games played in a series loss.
In 2017 Chirinos allowed 46 stolen bases, as he caught 15 runners, for a caught-stealing percentage of 25%.
On June 13, 2018, Chirinos was struck by Matt Kemp during a home-plate collision. Chirinos, thinking that the collision was intentional, scolded Kemp for colliding into him, and the two fought, leading to the benches clearing. Both combatants were ejected and the Rangers lost against the Dodgers 3-2 in 11 innings.
In 2018 he batted .222/.338/.419. Chirinos allowed 53 stolen bases, fourth-most for a catcher in the AL, as he caught 6 runners, for a caught-stealing percentage of 10%. The Rangers declined his $4.5 million option for 2019.
On December 6, 2018, Chirinos signed a one-year contract with the Houston Astros. On September 1, 2019, Chirinos caught Justin Verlander's third career no-hitter. In 2019 he batted .238/.347/.443.
- Robinson Chirinos Stats, Fantasy & News | MLB.com
- "Cubs select Catcher Robinson Chirinos from Double-A Tennessee" (Press release). MLB.com. October 29, 2010. Archived from the original on April 6, 2012. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Bruce Levine (January 8, 2011). "Source: Cubs agree to Garza deal". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on January 9, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Carrie Muskat (January 7, 2011). "Cubs acquire right-hander Matt Garza in eight-player trade with Rays". MLB.com. Archived from the original on January 8, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- "Rays promote 3 from Triple-A Durham". USA Today. July 18, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Robinson Chirinos Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
- Evan Grant (April 8, 2013). "Texas Rangers acquire C Robinson Chirinos from Tampa Bay in first-ever trade with Rays and then called his cousin Jeison to let him know that he was going to Texas". Archived from the original on April 13, 2013. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Matt Kemp, Robinson Chirinos ejected after home-plate scuffle". MLB. Retrieved June 13, 2018.
- Astros agree with Robinson Chirinos | Houston Astros
- "Source: Astros, Chirinos agree on 1-year deal". MLB. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- "2018日米野球 MLBオールスターチーム コーチ・出場予定選手発表". 野球日本代表 侍ジャパン オフィシャルサイト (in Japanese). October 29, 2018. Retrieved December 5, 2018.