This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Robin Cope Hartshorne (born March 15, 1938) is an American mathematician. Hartshorne is an algebraic geometer who studied with Oscar Zariski, David Mumford, Jean-Pierre Serre and Alexander Grothendieck.
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
|Awards||Steele Prize (1979)|
|Institutions||University of California, Berkeley|
|Doctoral advisor||John Coleman Moore|
|Doctoral students||Mei-Chu Chang|
He was a Putnam Fellow in Fall, 1958. He received his doctorate from Princeton University in 1963 and then became a Junior Fellow at Harvard University, where he taught for several years. In the 1970s he was appointed to the faculty at the University of California, Berkeley. He is currently[when?] retired.
Hartshorne is the author of the text Algebraic Geometry.
- Foundations of Projective Geometry, New York: W. A. Benjamin, 1967;
- Ample Subvarieties of Algebraic Varieties, New York: Springer-Verlag. 1970;
- Algebraic Geometry, New York: Springer-Verlag, 1977; corrected 6th printing, 1993. GTM 52, ISBN 0-387-90244-9
- Families of Curves in P3 and Zeuthen's Problem. Vol. 617. American Mathematical Society, 1997.
- Geometry: Euclid and Beyond, New York: Springer-Verlag, 2000; corrected 2nd printing, 2002; corrected 4th printing, 2005. ISBN 0-387-98650-2
- Local Cohomology: A Seminar Given by A. Grothendieck, Harvard University. Fall, 1961. Vol. 41. Springer, 2006. (lecture notes by R. Hartshorne)
- Deformation Theory, Springer-Verlag, GTM 257, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4419-1595-5
- Robin Hartshorne at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-19.
- Shatz, Stephen S. (1979). "Review of Algebraic geometry by Robin Hartshorne". Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society (N.S.). 1: 553–560. doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-1979-14618-4.
- Henderson, David W. (2002). "Review of Geometry: Euclid and beyond by Robin Hartshorne" (PDF). Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society (N.S.). 39: 563–571.
- Seddighin, Morteza (21 April 2004). "Review of Geometry: Euclid and Beyond by R. Hartshorne". MAA Reviews, Mathematical Association of America, maa.org.
- Zaldivar, Felipe (9 March 2010). "Review of Deformation Theory by R. Hartshorne". MAA Reviews, Mathematical Association of America, maa.org.