Robert George Murdoch "Robin" Nisbet, FBA (//; 21 May 1925 – 14 May 2013), known as R. G. M. Nisbet, was a British classicist and academic, specialising in Latin literature. From 1970 to 1992, he was Corpus Christi Professor of Latin at the University of Oxford.
|Born||21 May 1925|
|Died||14 May 2013(aged 87)|
|Education||Glasgow University |
Balliol College, Oxford
|Institutions||Corpus Christi College, Oxford|
|Doctoral students||R. J. Tarrant|
Robin Nisbet was educated at the Glasgow Academy, then as an undergraduate at the University of Glasgow from 1943–47, before going to Balliol College, Oxford, as Snell Exhibitioner to take a further undergraduate degree. After graduating in 1951 he moved to Corpus Christi College, Oxford, where he was appointed a fellow in 1952. He was made a Fellow of the British Academy in 1987.
- Nisbet, R. G. M. (1961). M. Tulli Ciceronis in L. Calpurnium Pisonem oratio. Edited with text, introduction, and commentary. (Reprinted in paperback by the Clarendon Press 1987 ISBN 978-0198721314)
- Nisbet, R. G. M.; Hubbard, Margaret (1970). A commentary on Horace: Odes, Book I. Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 978-0198144397.
- Nisbet, R. G. M.; Hubbard, Margaret (1978). A commentary on Horace: Odes, Book 2. Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 978-0198144526.
- Nisbet, R. G. M. (1995). Harrison, S. J. (ed.). Collected papers on Latin literature. Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 978-0198149484.
- Nisbet, R. G. M.; Rudd, Niall (2004). A commentary on Horace: Odes, Book 3. Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 978-0199263141.
- "Professor Robin Nisbet". The Times. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Harrison, S.J. Robin George Murdoch Nisbet 1925-2013. Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the British Academy, XIII, 365–382.
- University of Glasgow official website
- Harrison, Stephen (2013). "Robin Nisbet" (PDF). CUCD Bulletin. Council of University Classical Departments. 42: 1–2. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
Sir Roger Mynors
| Corpus Christi Professor of Latin
University of Oxford
1970 to 1992