Roberto Gomez (pool player)
Roberto Gomez (born October 5, 1978) is a professional pocket billiards player from Zamboanga City, Philippines. Known for 9-ball, he competed in the final of both the 2007 WPA World Nine-ball Championships, and the 2007 World Cup of Pool. Gomez was the first qualifier to reach the final of the WPA World Nine-ball Championships.
|Born||August 5, 1978|
|Best finish||Runner up 2007 WPA World Nine-ball Championship|
Gomez first played pool at 9 years of age. As a passionate admirer of Efren Reyes, he would often record on tape televised matches of the two-time world champion. Although he had aspirations of competing in professional tournaments, Gomez decided to find other careers in college.
He spent college at Western Mindanao University and initially try to find a course in architecture. But because broadcasting and political science were the only available, Gomez settled for broadcasting. Through this, he became and served as a reporter for ABS-CBN for a couple of years.
Gomez then returned to pool and began playing professionally.
2007 World Nine-ball ChampionshipEdit
Gomez reached the finals of the 2007 WPA World Nine-ball Championship where he took on Daryl Peach of Great Britain. Despite the match being even, Peach won the match 17–15. Though beaten, Gomez became the first qualifier to reach finals of the tournament.
2010 World Cup of PoolEdit
Roberto Gomez and Dennis Orcollo represented Team Philippines in the 2010 World Cup of Pool and played their way to the finals. There, they met Team China formed by Fu Jian-bo and Li He-wen, who won the 2007 edition of the event. In a rather lopsided final, the Chinese team led 9–1 in the race-to-10 match. Though Gomez and Orcollo would win the next four racks to make it 9-5, Team China got another opportunity to take 15th rack and win the event for the second time.
- Mason King (November 10, 2007). "Exclusive Interview with Roberto Gomez: The Secret Identity of "Superman"". AzBilliards.com. Archived from the original on June 13, 2011. Retrieved September 13, 2010.
- Matchroom Sport (November 10, 2007). "It's Gomes v Peach For WPC Glory". AzBilliards.com. Archived from the original on June 13, 2011. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- AzB Staff (November 11, 2007). "Daryl Peach wins 2007 World Pool Championship". AzBilliards.com. Archived from the original on June 13, 2011. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- "Gomez: I am so depressed at final defeat". worldpoolchampionship.com. November 11, 2007. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Matchroom Sport (September 12, 2010). "China Wins World Cup of Pool". AzBilliards.com. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Press Release (August 24, 2008). "Superman Gomez Wins Villar Cup Davao Leg". AzBilliards.com. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Ronnie Nathanielsz (May 1, 2009). "Gomez Beats Kiamco in Villar Cup Isabela Leg". AzBilliards.com. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- AzBilliards.com (January 22, 2018). "Derby City Classic 2018". AzBilliards.com. Retrieved January 22, 2018.