Robert Valley is a Canadian animator and visual graphic artist. He has a distinct visual style that is influenced by Peter Chung and Gorillaz creator Jamie Hewlett. Valley was born In Vancouver in 1969. After completing a four-year animation program in Vancouver, he moved to San Francisco in 1992.
Valley began directing animated commercials. In 1997 he opened up his own company called Maverix studios, also located in San Francisco. In 2000 he went back to being freelance on the roads, working in UK, France, Spain, New Zealand, and Korea. He now lives in the US. He is most famous for his work with the band Gorillaz.
His big break was working on Æon Flux. He did the character designs for Disney’s Tron: Uprising and Motorcity. his latest success as an Annie award winning character designer for Disney’s Tron the animated series. Aeon Flux, Gorillaz, Beatles Rockband, Tron, Firebreather, and DC comics Wonder Woman clips.
He received an Academy Award nomination for his work on Pear Cider and Cigarettes.
- Pear Cider and Cigarettes (2016)
- Nominated: Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film - Pear Cider and Cigarettes
- "Interview: Robert Valley". Red-Headed Mule. 2012-06-28. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Robert Valley Talks About "Shinjuku" Series and Wonder Woman for DC Nation". Cartoon Brew. 2013-07-26. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Interview with Robert Valley: "Pear Cider & Cigarettes" Indie Animated Film, animating in Photoshop, and the importance of editing and music – RubberOnion Animation Podcast #145 – RubberOnion Animation". rubberonion.com. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Robert Valley News". Comics Alliance. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Robert Valley Interview - animation podcast #145". Newgrounds.com. Retrieved 2017-01-03.