Robert Mandel (born 1945) is a film producer and director and television director from Oakland, California. He is best known for his film School Ties, which launched the careers of Brendan Fraser, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Cole Hauser and Chris O'Donnell.
Oakland, California, United States
|Occupation||Film producer, film director|
Robert Mandel was born in Oakland, California, but grew up in Queens, New York, where he became interested in theater. Mandel attended Bucknell University and decided to pursue stage directing at Manhattan Theatre Club and The Public Theater during the early 1970s.
During the late 1970s, Mandel attended M.F.A. studies at Columbia University and then at the AFI Conservatory, where he graduated in 1979. During his studies at the American Film Institute, Mandel received the Alfred Hitchcock Award for his thesis film, Night at O'Rears, which then went on to win the First Prize at Filmex in Los Angeles, First Prize at the USA Film Festival in Dallas, Texas; and was exhibited at the New York Film Festival at Lincoln Center.
Mandel went on to become a successful film director, as well as a television series director, having directed Lost, Nash Bridges and The Practice. He was the director of the pilot for The X-Files and the sixth episode of Prison Break. Mandel was the original director hired on for what was then titled Carrie 2: Say You're Sorry but quickly left the production over "creative differences." Katt Shea took over as director for the film, which was eventually released as The Rage: Carrie 2.
- Nights at O'Rear's (1980)
- Independence Day (1983)
- F/X (1986)
- Touch and Go (1986)
- Big Shots (1987)
- School Ties (1992)
- The Substitute (1996)
- Perfect Witness (1989)
- The Haunted (1991)
- The X-Files (1993) - pilot
- Sisters (1994) - 1 episode
- Kansas (1995)
- Special Report: Journey to Mars (1996)
- Dellaventura (1997) - 1 episode
- Nash Bridges (1997-2000) - 6 episodes
- The Practice (1998) - 1 episode
- Thin Air (2000)
- WW 3 a.k.a. Winds of Terror (2001)
- The District (2001) - 1 episode
- Hysteria – The Def Leppard Story (2001)
- A Season on the Brink (2002)
- The Secret Life of Zoey (2002)
- Lost (2005) - 1 episode
- Prison Break (2005) - 1 episode
- Dominion (2015) - 2 episodes
- Game of Silence (2016) - 1 episode
- Kilday, Gregg (2014-06-17). "Jan Schuette Named Dean of AFI Conservatory". Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- ROBERT MANDEL TO STEP DOWN AS DEAN OF AFI CONSERVATORY (PDF), 2013-12-02, retrieved 2016-08-07