Robert Hassell (baseball)
|Robert Hassell III|
|San Diego Padres – No. 90|
|Born: August 15, 2001|
Hassell lives in Franklin, Tennessee and attended Independence High School, where he is both an outfielder and a starting pitcher on the baseball team. recognized as a top collegiate prospect entering high school, Hassell committed to play college baseball at Tennessee in October of his freshman year. In his freshman season he hit .407 with 48 hits, 15 doubles, 2 home runs and 29 RBIs with 10 stolen bases and 24 runs scored and was named the Williamson County Baseball Player of the Year. following the season he flipped his commitment to Vanderbilt Hassell was named the Williamson County Baseball Player of the Year again as well as first team all-State by USA Today and an Underclass All-American by MaxPreps as a sophomore after batting .416 with nine doubles, six home runs and 52 RBIs. As a junior, Hassell was named the Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year after batting .423 with 14 home runs, eight doubles, 36 RBIs and 22 stolen bases while also posting a 5-2 record with a 1.07 ERA and 113 strikeouts to 21 walks in 59 innings pitched. After the season Hassell was named to the roster for the United States national baseball team to compete in the 2019 World Baseball Softball Confederation U-18 Baseball World Cup and won the Richard W. "Dick" Case Award as the team's most valuable player after leading the team in 10 different offensive categories. Hassell was named the WBSC International Player of the Year in December of 2019. Hassell entered his senior season as one of the best high school prospects for the 2020 Major League Baseball draft and was named a preseason All-American by Baseball America.
- "Vanderbilt picks up two new underclassmen commitments". Vandy247.
- Lee, Chris (May 14, 2018). "The 2018 WILLCO Awards Have Been Handed Out, and Here's Who Won".
- Kreiger, Tom (January 10, 2019). "Here are 10 Nashville area high school sports athletes to watch in 2019". The Tennessean.
- Askeland, Kevin (July 12, 2018). "2018 MaxPreps Underclass All-American Baseball Team". MaxPreps.com.
- "Tennessee baseball standout Robert Hassell III 'a freak' at the plate". November 13, 2019.
- "Vanderbilt baseball recruit Robert Hassell named Gatorade Tennessee Player of the Year". Nashville Post.
- "Forty-One USA Baseball Alumni Selected in the 2020 MLB Draft". USA Baseball. June 12, 2020. Retrieved June 26, 2020.
- Woodroof, Cory. "Indy's Robert Hassell makes USA Baseball 18U National Team roster". Williamson Home Page.
- Sports, Herald. "Baseball: Indy's Hassell named USA Baseball's top player after busy summer". Williamson Herald.
- Yow, Chris (December 26, 2019). "Robert Rakes: Hassell raking in awards ahead of senior season". Daily Herald.
- Callis, Jim (August 20, 2019). "These are the best high school 2020 Draft prospects". MLB.com. Retrieved April 14, 2020.
- "2020 High School Preseason All-Americans, Best Tools". Baseball America. January 31, 2020. Retrieved April 14, 2020.
- "Robert Hassell: Padres Believe They Added 'Best Prep Hitter' in 2020 Draft". Baseball America. June 11, 2020. Retrieved June 24, 2020.
- "Padres sign first-rounder Robert Hassell III for $4.3 million". The San Diego Union-Tribune. June 23, 2020. Retrieved June 24, 2020.