Gsellman with the Mets in 2018
|New York Mets – No. 65|
|Born: July 18, 1993|
Santa Monica, California
|August 23, 2016, for the New York Mets|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 11, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.44|
Early life and amateur careerEdit
Gsellman is the son of Bob Gsellman, a former minor league catcher drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 23rd round of the 1984 MLB Draft from Culver City High School in California. Gsellman attended Westchester High School in Los Angeles where he played both basketball and baseball. He was a California Interscholastic Federation state champion in basketball as a junior and voted team captain as a senior. As a junior baseball player, he had a .649 batting average and 1.67 ERA. He was also named to ESPN RISE's Underclassmen All-California team. As a senior, he finished with a .608 batting average with eight home runs and a 1.70 ERA. He verbally committed to Los Angeles Harbor College as a senior.
Gsellman was drafted by the New York Mets in the 13th round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft. He signed with the Mets and made his professional debut with the Gulf Coast Mets. From 2012 to 2015 he played for the Kingsport Mets, Brooklyn Cyclones, Savannah Sand Gnats, St. Lucie Mets and Binghamton Mets. During 2015 with St. Lucie, he was named to the FSL mid-season All Star team, however, did not participate due to his promotion to Binghamton. The Mets added him to their 40-man roster after the season. Also, the team announced that Robert Gsellman was named the Sterling Organizational Pitcher of The Year. For the year Gsellman went 13-7 with a 2.89 ERA in 24 combined starts for St. Lucie and Binghamton. He led the organization with 13 wins and was third in the organization in ERA among qualified pitchers.
Gsellman began the 2016 season with the Las Vegas 51s of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League. The Mets promoted him to the major leagues on August 22 when Steven Matz was placed on the disabled list. Gsellman made his Major League debut on August 23, 2016. Taking over for Jonathan Niese, who had left the game with left knee pain after pitching 1⁄3 of an inning, Gsellman pitched 3 and 1⁄3 innings, racking up 2 strikeouts, giving up no runs, and earning his first Major League win, the second Met rookie to do so in his debut in 2016, after Gabriel Ynoa. Due to an injury to his labrum, Gsellman was unable to swing the bat during his 2016 Major League stint. Nevertheless, on September 25 at Citi Field, Gsellman picked up his first Major League hit on a bunt off of Phillies pitcher Jake Thompson.
Gsellman started the 2018 season in the bullpen for the Mets. He was 6-3 with a 4.28 ERA.
- Wagner, James (June 12, 2018). "When Spanish Names (Don't) Flummox English-Speaking Baseball Announcers". The New York Times. Retrieved August 8, 2019.
- McShane, Chris (June 11, 2015). "Robert Gsellman is a prospect on the rise". Amazin' Avenue. SB Nation. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "Bob Gsellman Register Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- Collin, Phil (March 5, 2011). "Westchester's Gsellman a man for all seasons". Daily Breeze. Retrieved August 23, 2016.
- "California state boys basketball championship brackets: CIF (CIF Division I)". MaxPreps. Retrieved August 23, 2016.
- Taube, Aaron (June 7, 2011). "Higher learning: Mets target college arms". Major League Baseball. Retrieved August 23, 2016.
- Kalbrosky, Bryan (June 30, 2011). "2011 MLB Draft: Prospect Robert Gsellman Looking To Shine for the New York Mets". Bleacher Report. Retrieved August 23, 2016.
- "Eastern League notes: New York Mets prospect Robert Gsellman continues to grow in Binghamton - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "Westchester's Gsellman a man for all seasons". Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "Farm Report: Robert Gsellman excelling with sinking feeling". Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "Mets protect four players from Rule 5 Draft". Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- REVIEW-JOURNAL, BETSY HELFAND LAS VEGAS (August 12, 2016). "Now healthy, 51s' Robert Gsellman impresses on mound". Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- Guardado, Maria (August 23, 2016). "Who is new Mets call-up Robert Gsellman?". NJ.com. Retrieved August 23, 2016.
- Major League Baseball. "Box Score: Mets @ Cardinals, August 23, 2016".
- Puma, Mike (February 15, 2017). "Why Mets pitcher secretly couldn't swing last year". New York Post. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- "Gsellman's first MLB hit". New York Mets. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- Wagner, James (March 30, 2017). "Mets Add Zack Wheeler and Robert Gsellman to Rotation". New York Times. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- 2017 Major League Baseball Baserunning/Situ | Baseball-Reference.com