Robert Neil Eggers (born July 7, 1983) is an American film director, screenwriter, and production designer. He is best known for his acclaimed horror films The Witch (2015) and The Lighthouse (2019). Eggers began his career as a designer and director of theatre productions in New York before transitioning to working in film.
Robert Neil Eggers
July 7, 1983
Lee, New Hampshire, U.S.
Eggers grew up in Lee, New Hampshire. His parents are Kelly (née Houston) and Walter Eggers, and he has two brothers, Max and Sam. He moved to New York City in 2001 to attend an acting conservatory. He was inspired by his childhood in New England, when he frequently visited the Plimoth Plantation, to write his first feature.
In 2015, Eggers made his directorial debut with horror film The Witch, based on his own script. The film premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival on January 27, 2015. A24 acquired the film, and released it theatrically on February 19, 2016. Critical reception was largely positive, and the film earned over $40 million against a budget of $4 million. His follow-up film, the horror fantasy The Lighthouse (2019), also a period piece, was critically acclaimed. Eggers directed the film, and co-wrote the screenplay with his brother, Max Eggers.
In July 2015, it was reported that Eggers would write and direct a remake of the 1922 silent film Nosferatu, based on the Dracula mythology. The film is set to be produced by Jay Van Hoy and Lars Knudsen for Studio 8. In November 2016, Eggers expressed surprise that the Nosferatu remake was going to be his second film, saying "It feels ugly and blasphemous and egomaniacal and disgusting for a filmmaker in my place to do 'Nosferatu' next. I was really planning on waiting a while, but that's how fate shook out." Eggers had previously directed his high school's performance of the Nosferatu play, and was hired to direct a professional version of the play due to his work. Eggers credited this as the event that inspired him to pursue a career in filmmaking. The film has since been put on hold.
Eggers is currently in post-production of a "Viking revenge saga" film called The Northman starring Nicole Kidman, Björk, Willem Dafoe, Anya Taylor-Joy, Alexander Skarsgård, and Ethan Hawke and developing a miniseries based on the life of Rasputin.
|2015||The Witch||Yes||Yes||No||Feature directorial debut|
|2019||The Lighthouse||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-written with Max Eggers|
|2022||The Northman||Yes||Yes||No||Co-written with Sjón|
|2007||Hansel and Gretel||Yes||Yes||Also production designer|
|2008||The Tell-Tale Heart||Yes||Yes|
|2009||Drawing from Life||Short film|
|2010||Prelude and Fugue|
|Confessional Stories: Voluntary Damnation|
|Confessional Stories: First Confession|
|The Five Stages of Grief|
|Tell Your Friends! The Concert Film!||Documentary|
|In the Pines||Short film|
|2013||The House at the Edge of the Galaxy|
|Spirit Cabinet||Feature film|
Eggers works with several actors multiple times.
|2015||The Witch||90% (7.8/10 average rating) (325 ratings)||83 (46 reviews)|
|2019||The Lighthouse||90% (8/10 average rating) (377 ratings)||83 (51 reviews)|
- "Robert Eggers Biography". AllMovie. Archived from the original on September 27, 2020.
- Bloom, Jessica. "Designer-Turned-Director Robert Eggers Discusses His Horror Film 'The Witch'". Format Magazine. Retrieved September 26, 2016.
- "Robert Stroud Houston Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information". www.brewittfuneralhome.com. Retrieved October 20, 2019.
- Smith, Nicola (March 18, 2016). "New Hampshire Director Sifts His Home Soil". Valley News. Retrieved July 22, 2018.
- "Robert Eggers Talks 'The Lighthouse,' 'The Northman,' and... 'Mary Poppins'?". Fortune. Retrieved October 20, 2019.
- Schager, Nick (October 18, 2019). "'The Lighthouse' Director Wades Through the Mysterious Ending of His Nautical Nightmare". Esquire. Retrieved October 20, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (January 24, 2015). "Sundance: A24 Acquires Hot Horror Title 'The Witch' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- Evry, Max (May 23, 2016). "Studio 8 Sets 'Nosferatu' Remake; 'The Witch's Robert Eggers To Write & Direct". Coming Soon. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (July 28, 2015). "Studio 8 Sets 'Nosferatu' Remake; 'The Witch's Robert Eggers To Write & Direct". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- O'Falt, Chris (November 11, 2016). "Filmmaker Toolkit Podcast: 'Witch' Director Robert Eggers' Lifelong Obsession with 'Nosferatu' and His Plans For a Remake (Episode 13)". Indiewire. Retrieved August 28, 2017.
- Barter, Pavel. "Nicole Kidman in Belfast's The Northman movie". ISSN 0140-0460. Retrieved March 30, 2020.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (February 22, 2016). "'The Witch' Helmer Robert Eggers To Write, Direct Rasputin Miniseries For MRC". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- The Witch (2016), retrieved March 14, 2020
- The Witch, retrieved March 14, 2020
- The Lighthouse (2019), retrieved March 14, 2020
- The Lighthouse, retrieved March 14, 2020