The neutrality of this article is disputed. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Robert L. DuPont (born March 25, 1936 in Toledo, Ohio) is an American psychiatrist, known for his advocacy in the field of substance abuse. He is president of the Institute for Behavior and Health, whose mission is "to reduce the use of illegal drugs". He has written books including Chemical Slavery: Understanding Addiction and Stopping the Drug Epidemic, The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction, as well as Drug Testing in Treatment Settings, Drug Testing in Schools, and Drug Testing in Correctional Settings, published by the Hazelden Foundation. DuPont is a fellow of the American Society of Addiction Medicine and a life fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.
In 1958 DuPont earned his BA from Emory University and in 1963 earned his M.D. from Harvard Medical School. He completed training at Harvard and the National Institutes of Health. He worked for the District of Columbia Department of Corrections and in 1970 for the DC Narcotics Treatment Administration.
In 1978 he founded the Institute for Behavior and Health, Inc. In 1980 he became a clinical professor of psychiatry at the Georgetown University School of Medicine, and founded the Anxiety Disorders Association of America.
In 1981 he served as a paid consultant for Straight, Incorporated, one of the few drug treatment programs at that time that enrolled adolescents, which was criticized by some as a "controversial non-profit drug rehabilitation program", was the subject of numerous allegations of abuse, and which was successfully sued for false imprisonment and maltreatment.
He maintains a psychiatric practice in Maryland specializing in addiction and anxiety disorders.
- Biography of Robert L. DuPont, MD, Institute for Behavior and Health, Inc. https://www.ibhinc.org/leadership
- Institute for Behavior and Health, Inc. www.ibhinc.org
- ISBN 1985750325
- ISBN 1-56838-363-0
- ISBN 978-1-59285-179-9
- ISBN 1-59285-180-0
- ISBN 1-59285-181-9
- Hazelden published works by Robert L. DuPont http://www.hazelden.org/OA_HTML/hazAuthor.jsp?author_id=156&item=8064
- American Society of Addiction Medicine. ASAM Fellows. Accessed November 6, 2009 http://www.asam.org/FellowList.html
- "Why Marijuana is the Most Dangerous Drug". Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "Alcohol most harmful drug based on multi-criteria analysis". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- PBS Frontline: Drug Wars. Interview with Dr. Robert DuPont 2000. Accessed November 6, 2009 https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/drugs/interviews/dupont.html
- Trebach. The Great Drug War. ISBN 978-1588321183.
- Bensinger, DuPont & Associates www.bensingerdupont.com
- DuPont Clinical Research http://www.dupontclinicalresearch.com/