This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He was educated at St Paul's School, London, and studied at the University of Oxford. His expert knowledge of early instruments and the interpretation of pre-classical music owed much to a period of study with Arnold Dolmetsch at Haslemere, Surrey. He was appointed OBE in the 1979 Birthday Honours.
- The Instruments of Music (1949).
- Tempo and Rhythm in Bach's Organ Music (1960).
- The Interpretation of Early Music (1963).
- Wagner's Ring and its Symbols (1963).
- String playing in baroque music, with recorded illustrations by Yehudi Menuhin, George Malcolm, (1977).
- A performer's guide to baroque music (1973).
- The Rise of Opera (1981).
- Baroque Music: Style and Performance, a Handbook (1982).
- Opera and its symbols : the unity of words, music, and staging (1990).
- The Psychology of Tristan, Times Literary Supplement, 18 June 1971, pp 699–700
Sadie, S. (ed.) (1980) The New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians, [vol. #5].
- Obituary in Early Music, November 1990