The Roads and Transport Authority (Arabic: هيئة الطرق والمواصلات), commonly known as RTA, is the major independent government roads & transportation authority in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It was founded in 2005 and is responsible for planning and executing transport and traffic projects, along with legislation and strategic plans of transportation in the city. It is a department of the Government of Dubai.
|هيئة الطرق والمواصلات|
|Formed||November 1, 2005|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Dubai|
|Headquarters||Al Garhoud, Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Annual budget||7.609 billion AED (2016)|
RTA was established in 2005 by Law No. 17 - 2005. It was launched by the Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE, and Emir of Dubai, Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum with the mission of developing integrated, sustainable and world-class transportation systems for residents of Dubai. In 2012, RTA's Dubai Metro was declared by Guinness World Records to be the world's longest fully automated driverless metro system with a route length of 75 kilometres (47 mi).
The RTA is led by Director General and Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors, Mattar Mohamed Al Tayer. The administration is divided into five different agencies or departments, each of which have their own directors and CEOs.
- Public Transport Agency
- Traffic and Roads Agency
- Rail Agency
- Licensing Agency
- Dubai Taxi
Metro, buses and trams ridershipEdit
RTA is a sole public transportation service provider which includes the Dubai Metro, Dubai Tram, Abras, Dubai Bus, Dubai Water Bus, Water Taxi and Dubai Ferry along with Dubai Taxi and its authorized taxi companies.
RTA operates approximately 1,442 buses on 107 routes, carrying almost 7 million riders on roughly 179,000 trips a month by the bus service; however the Dubai Metro is a driverless, fully automated metro rail system installed ubiquitously throughout the city. All trains and stations are air conditioned and equipped with and platform edge screen doors. The metro is divided into two lines, Red and Green; both lines together recorded a ridership of 164.3 million in 2014 as compared to 137.759 million in 2013 and 109.491 million in 2012.
RTA launched a sophisticated automatic bus passenger counting system known as "Rasid" in 2015. The total ridership of Dubai's public transport reached 531.350 million in 2014.
Services and technologyEdit
- Nol Card
- Smart Drive
- Public transport
- Dubai Drive
- Smart parking
- Smart taxi
- Smart Salik
- RTA Dubai
- RTA corporate service app
- "Emiratis form 54% of RTA total workforce of 6310 employees: Al Tayer". Dubai Government Media Office. 19 April 2017. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Dubai's RTA: $2bn budget includes 12 new road projects | Middle East Construction News". Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Stephen Wilkins (2006). Dubai Creek. Troubador Publishing Ltd, 2006. ISBN 1-905237-47-2.
- "Roads & Transport Authority (RTA) - Company Details on ZAWYA MENA Edition". www.zawya.com.
- المعلومات, القسطاس لتكنولوجيا. "قانون بإنشاء هيئة الطرق والمواصلات رقم 17 لسنة 2005". www.qistas.com (in Arabic). Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Dubai in Guinness for longest driverless metro Retrieved Khaleej Times, February 22, 2012
- His Excellency Mattar Al Tayer, RTA Chairman Opens Gulf Traffic Retrieved Thomson Reuters Zawya, Dec 09, 2013
- RTA, Dubai Municipality sign tram upkeep deal Retrieved Gulf News 19:46 December 28, 2014
- "UAE Vice President launches Dubai Metro". Gulf News. 2009-09-09. Archived from the original on 2009-09-13.
- RTA regulates casual parking of trucks in Dubai Retrieved Thomson Reuters Zawya, Monday, Jan 11, 2016
- "Organization Chart".
- Over 440 million passengers used Dubai’s public transport in 2013 Retrieved 7DAYS | February 23, 2014
- Lynne Roberts (24 April 2008). "$136mn tram system to link Downtown Burj Dubai". Arabian Business.
- Metro drives Dubai to hit a million mark Retrieved Emirates247 | Published Sunday, January 20, 2013
- RTA records ridership of over 531m in 2014 Retrieved Khaleej Times, January 26, 2015
- RTA monitors bus ridership through automated counter system Retrieved WAM Emirates News Agency, 06/04/2015 03:24:00 PM
- RTA launches Smart Taxi app in Dubai Retrieved: Khaleej Times Published on October 14, 2014
- RTA to redevelop Gold Souq bus station Retrieved Thomson Reuters Zawya, Monday, Jan 11, 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roads and Transport Authority (Dubai).|