Risca and Pontymister railway station
Risca and Pontymister railway station (Welsh: Rhisga a Phont-y-meistr) is a station on the Ebbw Valley Railway in south-east Wales. It serves the village of Pontymister and the town of Risca. It is located roughly ½ mile south of the original Risca railway station.
|Risca and Pontymister|
|Welsh: Rhisga a Phont-y-meistr|
|Managed by||Transport for Wales|
|Owned by||Network Rail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|23 December 1850||Opened as Risca|
|30 April 1962||Closed|
|6 February 2008||Reopened as Risca and Pontymister|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Risca and Pontymister from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
The station is located near Ty Isaf School and Mill Street on a site of former railway sidings. The station has two platforms and a park and ride car park. Vehicular access to the station is off Maryland Road, with passenger access off Mill Street.
The first steam locomotive passenger train ran on the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company Western Valley line on Monday 23 December 1850, with service running twice in each direction (to Ebbw Vale and to Newport) each weekday.
The MRCC had been running the canals and horse-drawn carriages on their tram-roads which went through Risca from 1795.
Passenger services on the original line ended in 1962.
- "Advertising". Charles Hough. Monmouthshire Merlin. 4 January 1851. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Skillern, WJ (July 1960). "The Railways of Newport". The Railway Magazine. 107 (711).
- Vay Le, Julian; Benedict Le Vay (1 December 2014). Britain from the Rails: Including the nation's best-kept-secret railways. Bradt Travel Guides. pp. 271–. ISBN 978-1-84162-919-3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Risca and Pontymister railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Risca and Pontymister railway station from National Rail
- Planning Approval Granted for New Railway Station
- Archive of Ebbw Valley Railway Scheme website (Blaenau Gwent council, 2008)
- grid reference
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Crosskeys||Transport for Wales
Cardiff Central - Ebbw Vale Town
|This Wales railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|