Ring (company)(Redirected from Ring Video Doorbell)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ring is a neighborhood security company that reimagines home protection and helps to eradicate break-ins and crime. Ring manufactures a range of home security products that incorporate outdoor motion based cameras and doorbells, such as the Ring Video Doorbell, that was featured on ABC’s Shark Tank in 2013. Ring Video Doorbell is a smart doorbell device that allows users to monitor and operate their front, back and garage doors remotely. When the doorbell is pressed, the Ring application begins a VOIP video call to connected smartphones, so that the owner can see and speak to visitors, providing user accessibility and home security.
The Ring video doorbell, mounted next to the front door of a house
|Predecessor||Bot Home Automation|
|Headquarters||Santa Monica, California|
|Products||Ring Security System
Ring Video Doorbell
Ring Video Doorbell Pro
Ring Video Doorbell Elite
Ring Floodlight Cam
Ring Spotlight Camera
From an early age, Ring founder Jamie Siminoff was interested in engineering and entrepreneurship: his father co-owned a plant forging steel pipes for oil refineries and, using his father’s tools, Siminoff manufactured humane mouse traps, heated blankets and remote-controlled cars after school. After attending Babson College and launching and selling two companies, Siminoff conceptualized what would become Ring, understanding his home safety was compromised since he could not hear the front doorbell from his garage. Siminoff modernized his doorbell by adding Internet connectivity, a high-definition camera and a motion detector to enable him to control the sensor’s direction. In 2011, Siminoff founded Ring and in 2013 released the first version of his product.
ABC's Shark TankEdit
In 2013, Siminoff went on ABC’s Shark Tank, asking for $700,000 for his company, at the time called DoorBot, that he estimated was worth $7 million. Kevin O’Leary made an offer as a potential investor that Siminoff declined. The experience being on Shark Tank helped Siminoff raise the profile of the company,he rebranded and get $5 million in additional sales.
Doorbot was crowdfunded via Christie Street, and raised US$364k, more than the $250k requested.  Since then, the company has raised more than $200 million in investments and counts Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers, Qualcomm Ventures, Goldman Sachs, DFJ Growth and Richard Branson—founder of Virgin Group—as prominent investors.
Products and Key ReleasesEdit
In 2015, Ring released the Stick-Up Cam which incorporated the same features as the doorbell but without the actual doorbell button. In 2016, the Ring Floodlight Cam was introduced which incorporated two 1100 lumen LED floodlights to optimize security. In 2017, Ring launched a DIY home security system, Ring Protect, including an alarm keypad and motion sensors. That same year, Ring released its second version of the device, Ring Doorbell 2, with a rechargeable battery pack, night vision, a motion detector, speaker and microphone. Ring Neighborhoods is an additional security feature that helps non-video doorbell users monitor suspicious activity on their app.
In 2016, Ring partnered with Los Angeles Police Department and installed Ring Video Doorbells on 10 percent of homes in Wilshire Park, California. The LAPD’s data showed that there was a 55 percent decrease in break-ins within the first six months of the doorbells being installed. In addition to break-in prevention, Ring products have been cited as aiding the police in identifying successful perpetrators.
App and RetailersEdit
Ring has removed the Mobile install of the app from the Windows Store and caused already installed apps on mobile to cease functioning without notice. Reviews of the PC version of the app are trending downward. Users are complaining that recent updates have ruined the functionality.
- Dave, Paresh. "Ring modernized the doorbell, then its inventor, Jamie Siminoff, went to war against crime". latimes.com. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "The real cost of setting up a smart home". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- Conner, Katie (2017-11-14). "Technology helping to deter holiday package thieves". KNXV. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- Pollicino, Joe (December 6, 2012). "DoorBot lets you see and talk with who's at the door from the comfort of your smartphone (video)".
- Ashe, Dru (December 7, 2012). "DoorBot: The Wi-Fi Doorbell That Connects to Your Smartphone | Complex".
- DoorBot lets you see who is knocking via your mobile device - SlashGear
- The DoorBot From Edison Junior - Business Insider
- "This guy turned his failure on 'Shark Tank' into a $109 million investment from Goldman Sachs". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "Meet Ring, the connected door bell company that just scored Richard Branson as an investor". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "After This Entrepreneur Got Nothing on 'Shark Tank,' Richard Branson Wrote Him a Check". Inc.com. 2015-08-19. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- Doorbot Is Knocking Upon the Future of Doorbells CES 2013 | Apartment Therapy
- 'DoorBot' for Homeowners Hits $250,000 Goal | Lockitron | TechNewsDaily.com
- Friedman, Zack. "Shark Tank Reject Raises $209 Million, Fights Crime". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "UPDATED: ABC's 'Shark Tank' makes its decision on Allen County native, veteran Bart Lomont's Robin Autopilot | News, Sports, Jobs - News-Sentinel". www.news-sentinel.com. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- DFJ (2017-10-19). "Jamie Siminoff, Ring". DFJVC. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- Sawers, Paul (2 October 2017). "Ring launches Protect, a DIY home security system starting at $199". VentureBeat. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Wetzel, Kim (2 October 2017). "Affordable, DIY Ring Protect Looks to Lock Up the Home Security System Market". Digital Trends. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Officer, Gary Kaye, Chief Content (2017-11-08). "2017 Holiday Gift Guide Part I - Gifts for 50+ 1 of 2". Tech50+. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "TVEyes Media Monitoring Suite - [Transcript]". mms.tveyes.com. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "Okotoks home owner's doorbell video leads to capture of alleged invader | Metro Calgary". metronews.ca. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "Local package thief caught from a doorbell". KSNT News. 2017-11-12. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "Ring Video Doorbell 2 Review - Install, App, Video & More | RIZKNOWS". RIZKNOWS. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "Jamie Siminoff | Lessons for Taking Your Business from the Garage to Global Success | Silicon Valley Bank". www.svb.com. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
|This product article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|