Richmond C. Beatty
Richmond C. Beatty (January 6, 1905 - October 9, 1961) was an American academic, biographer and critic. He was the author of several books.
|Richmond Croom Beatty|
January 6, 1905|
Shawnee, Oklahoma, U.S.
October 9, 1961|
Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.
|Resting place||Calvary Cemetery, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.|
|Residence||3627 Hoods Hill Road, Green Hills, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.|
William Henry Beatty|
Richmond C. Beatty was born on January 6, 1905 in Shawnee, Oklahoma. He grew up in Birmingham, Alabama, where his father, William Henry Beatty, was a "cotton buyer." His mother was Caroline Barbour. He had a brother and two sisters.
Beatty graduated from Birmingham-Southern College, where he earned a bachelor's degree in 1926. He subsequently attended Vanderbilt University, where he earned a master's degree in 1928 and a PhD in 1930.
Beatty began his career as an English professor at Tennessee State Teachers College (later known as the University of Memphis) from 1930 to 1935. He was an assistant professor of English at the University of Alabama from 1935 to 1937. He was an associate professor of English and American Literature at Vanderbilt University from 1937 to 1946, when he became a full professor. He retired from academia in 1956, and he joined the staff of The Tennessean as the literary editor.
Personal life and deathEdit
Beatty died on October 9, 1961 at his Nashville residence, and he was buried in the Calvary Cemetery in Nashville.
- Beatty, Richmond C. (1932). William Byrd of Westover.
- Parks, Edd Winfield (1935). English Dramas. New York: W. W. Norton and Company. OCLC 971338057.
- Beatty, Richmond C. (1936). Bayard Taylor, Laureate of the Gilded Age.
- Beatty, Richmond C. (1938). Lord Macaulay, Victorian Liberal. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press. OCLC 252002434.
- Beatty, Richmond C. (1942). James Russell Lowell. Nashville, Tennessee: Vanderbilt University Press. OCLC 776378468.
- Beatty, Richmond C.; Watkins, Floyd C.; Young, Thomas Daniel, eds. (1952). The Literature of the South. Glenview, Illinois: Scott, Foresman and Company.
- Beatty, Richmond C.; Bradley, Sculley; Long, E. Hudson, eds. (1961). The American Tradition in Literature. New York: W. W. Norton & Co.
- Young, Thomas Daniel (1979). "Richmond Croom Beatty". In Bain, Robert A.; Flora, Joseph M.; Rubin, Louis Decimus, Jr. Southern Writers: A Biographical Dictionary. Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Louisiana State University Press. pp. 21–22. ISBN 9780807103548. OCLC 473834311.
- "Richmond C. Beatty Funeral Set Today". The Tennessean. October 10, 1961. p. 5. Retrieved October 23, 2017 – via Newspapers.com. (Registration required (. ))
- "Richmond C. Beatty". Guggenheim Foundation. Retrieved October 23, 2017.