|Sir Richard Swinburn|
|Born||30 October 1937|
11 October 2017 (aged 79)|
Dummer, Hampshire, UK
|Years of service||1957–1995|
7th Armoured Brigade
1st Armoured Division
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath|
Educated at Wellington College and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, Swinburn was commissioned into the 17th/21st Lancers in 1957. He became Commanding Officer of 17th/21st Lancers in 1979 and Commander of 7th Armoured Brigade in 1983. He went on to be General Officer Commanding 1st Armoured Division in 1987 and Assistant Chief of the General Staff in 1989. He was made GOC South East District in 1990 (which was retitled 'Southern District' in 1992). He was then made Commander UK Field Army in 1994 and retired in 1995.
He was the son of Major-General Henry Robinson Swinburn and Naomi Hull. His maternal grandfather was Major-General Sir Charles Hull and his uncle was Field Marshal Sir Richard Hull. In 1964 he married Jane Elise Brodie who died in 2001. In September 2012, it was announced that he was engaged to Susan Ferguson (née Deptford), the widow of Major Ronald Ferguson and the stepmother of Sarah, Duchess of York. They married in December 2012: Prince Andrew, the Duchess of York and their two daughters attended Sir Richard and Lady Swinburn's wedding celebrations.
- "No. 41191". The London Gazette. 1 October 1957. p. 5759.
- Debrett's People of Today 1994
- Whitaker's Almanack 1996
- "The Queen's Royal Lancers". Regiments.org. Archived from the original on 26 December 2005. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Duchess of York's delight as stepmother finds love with Army hero". The Telegraph. 5 September 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Beatrice and Eugenie share Duchess of York's joy as stepmother remarries". Hello.
| General Officer Commanding the 1st Armoured Division
| Assistant Chief of the General Staff
Sir Peter de la Billière
| GOC South East District
Sir Anthony Denison-Smith
(AS GOC Southern District)
Sir Michael Rose
| Commander UK Field Army
Sir Hew Pike