Richard Nelson Perham, FRS, FMedSci, FRSA (27 April 1937 – 14 February 2015), was an English Professor of molecular biology, and Master of St John's College, Cambridge 2004–07. He was also editor-in-chief of FEBS Journal (Federation of European Biochemical Societies) from 1998 to 2013.
Richard Nelson Perham
27 April 1937
|Died||14 February 2015 (aged 77)|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Institutions||St John's College, Cambridge, Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge University|
|Doctoral students||Nigel Scrutton|
Perham attended Latymer Upper School, then St John's College, Cambridge, where he completed his MA (Cantab), PhD and ScD. Perham then went on to become a MRC scholar at Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB), also at Cambridge.
Research and careerEdit
Perham was known for his contributions to the chemistry of proteins in multimeric assemblies.
Professor Perham is a member of the following organisations and societies:
- 1965 Biochemical Society member
- 1983 EMBO Member
- 1986 Royal Institution for Great Britain member
- 1992 Academia Europaea member
Awards and fellowshipsEdit
Professor Perham's accolades include:
- 1971 (EMBO) fellowship Max Planck Institute for Medical Research (Max-Planck-Institut für Medizinische Forschung), Heidelberg
- 1984 Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS)
- 1988 Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA)
- 1993 Max Planck Research Prize
- 1998 Novartis Medal and Prize Biochemical Society
- 2000 Silver Medal Italian Biochemical Society
- 2005 Fellowship of the Academy of Medical Sciences (FMedSci)
- 2008 Edman Prize International Association of Protein Structure and Proteomics (IAPSAP)
- 2011 Diplôme d'Honneur Federation of European Biochemical Societies
- Perham, Richard N (1975). Instrumentation in amino acid sequence analysis. London New York: Academic Press. ISBN 9780125512503.
- Perham, Richard N; Chapman, Stephen; Scrutton, Nigel (2002). Flavins and flavoproteins 2002: proceedings of the Fourteenth International Symposium, St. John's College, University of Cambridge, UK, July 14-18, 2002. Berlin: Rudolf Weber, Agency for Scientific Publications. ISBN 9783000102295.
- Perham, Richard N; Baumeister, Wolfgang; Johnson, Louise; Steven, Alasdair (1975). Instrumentation in amino acid sequence analysis. London New York: Academic Press. ISBN 9780125512503.
- Scrutton, Nigel Shaun (1988). Mechanistic and structural studies on glutathione reductase by protein engineering (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 557267794.
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
Prof Richard Perham, Master of St John's College, Cambridge, 2004–07, 75
- "Richard Nelson PERHAM - Biography". Debretts. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Fellow - Professor Richard Perham FRS FMedSci". The Academy of Medical Sciences. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- Martin, Seamus J (January 2014). "Editorial - The FEBS Journal: passing the editorial baton". The FEBS Journal. 281 (1): 1–2. doi:10.1111/febs.12650.
- Parham, Peter (December 2013). "Editorial - R. N. Perham at the helm: 1998–2013". The FEBS Journal. 280 (24): 6279. doi:10.1111/febs.12585.
- Profile: Professor Richard Perham FRS FMedSci The Academy of Medical Sciences
- Profile: Richard Nelson Perham Debretts
- "Professor Richard Perham 1937-2015". joh.cam.ac.uk. 16 February 2015.
- Berry, Alan; Radford, Sheena E. (2018). "Richard Nelson Perham. 27 April 1937—14 February 2015". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2018.0004
| Master of St John's College, Cambridge
|This article about a biologist from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|